from film to a print

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bobaab, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

Hey guys, sorry, I will admit now, I'm being impulsive and want to know the answer to my question without putting in much effort. This means I haven't searched through the forums for the answer. I'm sorry, in advance.

So I'm here today to find out what the best way is to get a picture I took with my Canon EOS 650 (20 yr old SLR camera, my parents gave it to me :D ), into a picture as large, or larger than 8x10.

I've enlarged pictures from my digital camera at a local Kinko's and it turned out pretty good, is there a chain store in the Chicagoland region that you guys would have a preference? Im looking for quality and not quantity or price (to an extent). I dont know if I trust Walgreen's $3.99 8x10 enlargements..I'd rather you guys tell me than for me to waste time and money and experiment..

Thanks guys, for helping out a newbie in this broad photography world. And nice meeting all of you who reply here :)

-Bob

2. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

I wouldn't trust walgreen either. They'll probably scan the negative and then print it out... not enlarge it.

You'll need a pro lab of some sort, but I've never even been to chicagoland.

Welcome to the forums.

3. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Umm most places will print 8x10s from a negative...

I work at Kmart in Australia - and we print 8x10's

4. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

what kind of stores do it? like a strictly camera store? im just unsure of where to go..

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Start a local phonebook/online search for "photo labs" and see what you get. Call them and explain what you have and what you're after.

Shouldn't be hard at all, you just want to make sure they appear to be a professional photo lab and you're not walking into another walgreen-type place. They should be offering to process B&W film, do digital scanning, things like that.

Good luck!

6. TheBarbaubot

TheBarbaubot TPF Noob!

I've actually done some pretty nice enlargements at Walgreens, but what do I know....

It's all in who's working. Go during the week during work hours and that way you make sure the photo manager is working...somebody who might care about what they're doing. Don't go to one that looks super busy either, eg. go to one in the suburbs, and not by a mall or whatever.