from one view to another.

I know this isn't a film vs digital debate but here is an observation from someone new to digital.

I was at a craft fair and got to talking with a photographer there. He had some nice stuff and I noticed a few photoshopped pieces so asked what he was using. He said a Nikon D100. I was looking at enlargements of up to 30"X40". Pretty amazing resolution from a camera that is over the hill per say compared to whats out there now.

Here's just a silly little theory from the mind of Rob:

I don't think there were that many "good photographers" * who were immediate adopters of digital cameras. I think that in the first few years the majority of pros and enthusiast amateurs stuck with 35mm film. The comparisons made were between different photographers - and the old school shooters rubbished digital. Now that it's pretty much a mature technology and so many of us have taken to it, there is plenty of evidence of good work out there.

I resisted for ages, I'm still a digital noob really. I haven't looked back though - I've become more experimental and more dedicated, because even at the end of the month when I'm poor, I can still go out and wander and shoot for free.

I still love film, I still love making something. However, impatience and money have firmly put me in the "only shooting digital now" arena.

Was there a point to any of that? No not really. Just thinking aloud.

Rob
* yeah yeah, what's a good photographer

i don't mind where i'm at with film right now, i've gotten to the point where i'm pretty in tune with my equipment (including film characteristics) and rarely have bad pictures (simply out of a gigantic need to not waste film - gotta trust intuition and just not think), i don't shoot that often so it's not a problem

though i'd love to move up into digital (at least 12mp) but could never afford it

Well, i like film, for various reasons:
1. I don't have enough money for a dslr, and if its not a dSLR, its probly not worth it
2. The grain on film is much more impressive than digital noise.
3. there are certain effects that are very hard to replicate with digital, such as delta 400's contrast and grain, or agfa apx 25 iso, really nice stuff.
otherwise though, digital is a hella more convenient and is as good quality as film if you got the equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back