From the Count's Castle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Mitica100, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well... Thing is I'm growing fangs! We've been stationed here at Bran, near Dracula's Castle and we're already 'casteled-out'. So many castles, we visited two in the first day, one the next and today another citadel, the city of Sighisoara. Will give more details when back.

All in all, we're surviving Romania so far. Drivers are crazy here, we also ran into a huge storm with hail, passing through villages, almost deserted and dilapidated (sp?).

Had some photo ops, mainly street photography shot from the waist. I hope they turn out (remember I'm a film guy).

Well... time's short here at the Internet Cafe.

Until next time, la revedere...;)

2. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds fun, Mit! Thanks for the update!

Looking forward to the pics! :)

3. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    get some of those castles too huh..... i love castles..... sounds like a great trip :thumbup:

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm so glad you checked in! It sounds like fun so far - hailstorms notwithstanding. :lol:

I can't wait to see the pics. Castles, deserted villages, street photography - sounds like a total blast.

Have fun! :D

5. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for checking in! Sounds like an adventure :D

6. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

That makes me wonder, if you took a picture of a vampire, would the image show up on film........or is it just mirror's that they don't show on ?

7. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He he... Should've thought of that and taken some pics of mirrors. Then again, I've had too much garlic (mmm...) so the vamps went away.:lol:

Anyway, back in Bucharest now, I took a stroll with my brother around the house where Ceausescu (ill famed Romanian dictator) lived. Interesting, never had the chance to see it before. Tomorrow we are beinbg given a private tour of the House of the People, supposedly the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon, and try to do a panoramic picture of Bucharest. Lots of stitching in PS I guess...

Today, before coming back to Bucharest we visited the Princely Court where the infamous Count Dracula ruled in the early to mid 1400s. It's mostly in ruins save for a watch tower. Pretty creepy...

Now that I have access to Internet from home I'll sign in more often.

As we say in Romanian, La revedere.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Sounds like an adventure!!!! No pressure on the photos but again I can not wait to see them!!!!!

9. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I'm glad you're having such a good time Dimitri. Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear the stories of your trip. :D

10. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, hyappy to report that the visit this morning was ok, just not as exciting as I expected. Yeah, the buidling is a big momma, 3,707 rooms and with a handwoven persian rug the size of a football field, 24K gold ornaments on the walls, real marble, huge crystal portals and doors. We stood on the same balcony where a few good years ago Michael Jackson said "Hello Romania! Glad to be in Budapest!!" It's a total waste of money IMHO, they could've fed the poor people instead of sensless building!

I'll post a few snapshots upon coming back.

Tomorrow's a visit to the Dracula's tomb, a little monastery on an island, all on a lake near Bucharest named Snagov. I hear we need to do the paddling... :roll:

11. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ahh... Nothing like seeing the Count's real tomb, on an isle in the middle of the Snagov Lake. We drove there then took a private boat. Posted there is the cell phone of the Monastery, call and they come and pick you up, for a fee. Traversed the lake and saw this old, old church still standing next to a small bell tower. A young priest, which is an aide to the real Monastery keeper (and a very moody keeper mind yo) explained to us quite a lot about Dracula's tomb. Legend has it that the body was entombed there without its head, which was actually thrown into the Snagov Lake. Other legend yet says that only the head was burried there. I read somewhere else that there were excavations done adn all they found were animal bones. Yet, the last explanation given by the young priest was that the entire body is actually buried there and that Hitler himself ordered (in the early 1940s) an excavation to be done. Seems that they found some artifacts belonging to Vlad's head gear, just like the ones depicted in all of his portraits from that time. These artifacts are now locked up in a National Archives room. Hmm... Can it get more confusing?

We're back in one piece, but we're m-e-l-t-i-n-g away! It's so friggin' hot and humid! I won't ever b**ch about the heat in Arizona, at least it's d-r-y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YOu are sooo lucky. I would give anything to vists Dracs tomb. Ya must post pics.:D