From this to that... What photo editor programs/techniques are used here?

mara_ce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been lurking 500 px for sometime. However, in comparing the pictures I take to what I find on that site, I'm wondering what photo editing programs or techniques are most often used re: the pictures I see on that site. I know there are probably an infinite number that could produce the effects. I'm not even sure that I like the effects all that much. Just curious about new ways I can experiment with my photography (and perhaps make it worthy of being shown there).

Are effects generally done in PS or are there other editing programs that I should be playing with?

Here's a pic I took of Scituate Light: Picasa Web Albums - N Jo - March 23 2015

Here's a typical 500 px shot of it: Old Scituate Lighthouse by Edward Reese 500px

Well, there's the overused, almost cliche blurred cloud movement/hazy/misty water effect that comes with using extreme neutral density filters, which have become very popular with landscape shooters today. The 10-stop Neutral Density filter effect is rapidly becoming the selective color of this decade. If you hang out on 500px long enough, you'll see that images made with the Canon 10-22 and a 10-stop ND have come to dominate many landscape situations, and there's a certain sameness that has spread over 500px in a lot of genres.

Okay, so an extreme ND filter can do something that. I thought it was all PS.
I may experiment with it but, as you said, I also find it a little cliche.
Thank you!

Well the filter doesn't do that.
Use of a dense ND filter allows the use of a long shutter opening time so the water and clouds move during the exposure and blur from that movement.

To answer your question generally.
Changes (perhaps improvement but sometimes a matter of opinion) to photos in post-processing generally fall in two categories. General changes to brightness, color, framing, color temperature, etc. are often done in Lightroom or another program that doesn't work at the pixel level. Changes at the pixel level are done in Photoshop. Photoshop can do all the general changes but also can fix scratches and remove drunken Uncle Charley from the family portrait. There are other less expensive, and less powerful, programs that can work at the pixel level.
The subject is so large that this effort just touches on it. I know Derrel with his wealth of knowledge could type on this till his fingers drop off and still not cover it all.

Most reactions

Back