front vs rear curtain sync

tron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i recently got a d40 with an sb600 and i was trying to learn more on front vs rear curtain syncs in regards to the flash. i understand that the flash fires right as the shutter is fully open in front curtain, etc etc and right when the second curtain opens in rear curtain flash.

i was wondering what the benefits of each are? and also, what kind of flash should be used in what kinds of scenarios?

Hello tron
I use a Sunpak 4000AZ and I prefer keeping my camera set on Rear using it. I like the look of the pictures. Where possible, I bounce my flash off the ceiling.

Best,
Matt

2nd curtain is great with long exposure
especially in club type situations

you get the motion and light trails but then at the end you get a nice sharp image of peoples faces

Rogan has already said it, so I'll say it in a different way.

With second curtain sync the blurred part of a moving object occurs behind the sharp part - which looks conceptually correct. First curtain sync creates images the other way round - moving objects have their blurred part in front of them.

i understand that the flash fires ... right when the second curtain opens in rear curtain flash.

It might be better to describe second curtain sync as firing an instant before the second curtain starts to close, because the second curtain starts out open, then closes at the end of the exposure.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back