Frozen Garden (pic heavy)

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We had an ice storm of sorts here the other day. Typical weather here in spring, sunny and 60 one day, frozen tundra the next... I unfortunately only had about 15 min to get photos since I didn't realize how frozen everything was until right before I had to leave for work. It was also overcast and gray outside, so lighting was a challenge. Too windy for natural light and OCF was creating terrible glare on the ice. Anywhoo, I started with my 24-70 but quickly realized I wasn't capturing the essence of the ice covered things so I transitioned to the macro. Most of what was covered was dead vegetation from last summer that stayed standing through the winter. Here are some of the ones I liked the most.

9. And then there was this poor little fern just staring this years growth...

We had an ice storm of sorts here the other day. Typical weather here in spring, sunny and 60 one day, frozen tundra the next... I unfortunately only had about 15 min to get photos since I didn't realize how frozen everything was until right before I had to leave for work. It was also overcast and gray outside, so lighting was a challenge. Too windy for natural light and OCF was creating terrible glare on the ice. Anywhoo, I started with my 24-70 but quickly realized I wasn't capturing the essence of the ice covered things so I transitioned to the macro. Most of what was covered was dead vegetation from last summer that stayed standing through the winter. Here are some of the ones I liked the most.

Great set! I started listing my favorites by number, but decided to stop when I got to 8.

Awesome set.
Just got our power back from the freeze.
Thanks! We didn't have enough accumulation to cause power outages here, fortunately.

Neat series!
Thank you! It was a fun challenge to capture the garden in a new way.

Great set! I started listing my favorites by number, but decided to stop when I got to 8.

Haha, thanks for the compliment!

Those are great!

Nice series. #7 is really my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Nice series. #7 is really my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! That's my favorite, too.

super nice shots. what macro lens do you use?

Thank you! If memory serves, #3 was taken with my Nikon 24-70, but the rest were taken with my Nikon 105mm f/2.8G. Most importantly, though, I also used a remote flash diffused through an 18" softbox for lighting. When it comes to macro, I've found good lighting is more important than the lens used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back