Frozen soap bubbles

Must be a location difference the only other frozen soap bubble effect was whilst watching Michael Pailing’s pole to pole.
Here our temps are not low enough, I don’t use face gram or insta book so will have not seen the pics.
I too like trying out ideas and know how hard some can be. Looking at your images and comments on the problems
I say again don’t be to hard on your self.
I do UV photography using cheap torches, not a studio set up, I spray objects with uv reactive paint.
I had to learn from doing what did and did not work. Even making my own colour checker card to photo under uv so I would know how the colours would react . Learning to adjust water paint mixes to get different sized beads of paint to form.

Great set! The ones you got last year were very good and inspirational. I tried it last year and gave up. You must have the magic frozen bubble touch.

This was a fun exercise but not very successful. I’ve tried this several times in the past few years with very mediocre results. I had high hopes when I saw the forecast for low teens and no wind for this morning. But by the time I got the dogs situated and made the bubble mixture and got myself ready to brave the cold, the sun had warmed things up to 20 degrees and the bubbles were just not freezing fast enough! Also, I may not have used enough water in the mix... and I didn’t pre chill it... and I didn’t have a good background where I had sufficient backlighting... The list of things I did wrong is long!

I did manage to get a few shots but each has issues with background or highlights or both. I do have a decent plan to shoot these at night next time temps drop so we’ll see if I can do better then. There’s lots of room for improvement. I think the first is the best of these.

Frozen soap bubbles by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Frozen soap bubbles by SharonCat..., on Flickr

DF95C393-28F9-49BE-9F15-47DFB24B9661 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

93F6DD37-5DBE-4080-9AE8-BD368A897560 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Interesting and beautiful! #1 is also my favorite. Please list all the things you did wrong; I want to make it my “to do” list.

I did list what I did wrong!

Must be a location difference the only other frozen soap bubble effect was whilst watching Michael Pailing’s pole to pole.
Here our temps are not low enough, I don’t use face gram or insta book so will have not seen the pics.
I too like trying out ideas and know how hard some can be. Looking at your images and comments on the problems
I say again don’t be to hard on your self.
I do UV photography using cheap torches, not a studio set up, I spray objects with uv reactive paint.
I had to learn from doing what did and did not work. Even making my own colour checker card to photo under uv so I would know how the colours would react . Learning to adjust water paint mixes to get different sized beads of paint to form.

My biggest issue is that I learn what I need to do differently and then have to wait, sometimes almost a full year, for conditions to be right to try again.

Missed this post first time around... VERY cool, Sharon!!!!

Thank you.

Great set! The ones you got last year were very good and inspirational. I tried it last year and gave up. You must have the magic frozen bubble touch.

Lol keep trying. It sometimes takes me 30 attempts that burst before freezing in order to get one bubble that lasts long enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back