Frustrated Nubie

hotpeppergyrl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am trying to take shots of handguns, I have had so much trouble with a few different things,for instance, on a hard Chrome slide I can see my reflection or the flash on the slide. I have a photo cube studio with the cube and lights and still having trouble.. I am using the nikond 3300 ..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It's a lot like pool...with no English and a center-ball hit, the angle of incidence equals the angle of rebound of the ball. The cube is a huge limitation, in that it offers a very limited range of light placements and also, the sides are in FIXED, non-adjustable placements WRT the light placements AND the subject matter.

Here's what you need to do: place the handgun. Put the camera on a tripod, and compose the photo. THEN, and only then, begin to light it. Using something other than the light tent,most likely. A simple frame, placed overhead and aimed at the gun, with the light placed behind this diffusing screen is a good place to start. Look through the camera, and literally SEE where the light looks best. You can see if there are reflections, or not.

Check out the book WeePete linked to as well - its pretty much the go-to-textbook for this kind of work. A very good one to make a solid starting foundation in lighting angles and reflective properties of different surfaces

Most reactions

Back