Frustrating moon shots!

You see, the moon is much closer to the earth in Pennsylvania, hence a hand held shot like yours is not as difficult as in other parts of the world...

Nice handheld shot, I am impressed. Since I stopped drinking, my hands are not as steady.

Of course, I was only kidding about the distance of the moon :D

I am curious, pointing up how did you support the camera in your hands keeping it so steady?
Love The moon shot!!!:thumbup:

I find that i have very steady hands..and usually taking handheld shots doesnt effect it ( to where i notice anyway ) I still think im going to get a tripod when i can.

I shot mine hand-held, and played with a few attempts before I got what I wanted. I played with Curves to enhance contrast a little, but I have EXIF data so you can see what I did.

# Aperture: f/11.0
# Focal Length: 500 mm
# ISO Speed: 200
# Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)

Kinda wish i had a 500mm right now! haha.. NICE shot!:thumbup:

This gentleman (HikinMike) has done this before. I suggest checking out his work. He's superb! Perhaps he can chime in here a little bit.

He offered his link in this thread : http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/188477-blue-moon-tonight.html

His link : Moon And Clouds - Atwater CA

I just happened to see this thread. Thanks! :blushing:

Like I said in the other thread, this is what I use as a ball park while shooting the moon:

Full Moon - f/11@ 1/ISO So, if you use ISO 100, then f/11, 1/100, ISO 100
Half Moon -f/8 @ 1/ISO
Quarter Moon - f/5.6 @ 1/ISO

Now I blended two exposures to capture both the moon, in detail and the clouds....
MoonAndClouds_post.jpg

The Lunar Eclipse from 2007
LunarEclipse_post.jpg

PerfectlyFlawed ..... with regard to your post #24............
From the Forum Rules and Regulations
* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.
If you do not have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder, then you are to provide a link.

Of course, it would have been nice to have been asked. :meh:

LunarEclipse_post.jpg

From HikinMike

Ahh, to have an idea. Taking composition, technical aspect, time and creativity - and come up with this shot is spectacular. Not just in the shot, but the process.

Thanks Mike for the photo and teaching creativity as well.
Now lets see how we can get the technical part as well:thumbup:

This is from my website gallery about that Lunar Eclipse shot:

"So I don't have a life and a stay up late every night, soooo I decided to take a 'few' photos...115 photos to be exact. I started about 2:45 AM (PST) and went to bed at 5:30 AM."

BTW, that was using my old Canon 300D...the original Digital Rebel.

If you dont have a tripod set up some sort of box or table for the camera to aim towards the sky. Use your timer and let go. You will get the shot you are trying. Here is the one I did tonight for you.
Even if you do get a tripod you will want to use a shutter release cable or the timer still or blur will occur.

2hga0xv.jpg

* You agree t0o only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.
If you do not have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder, then you are to provide a link.

Very sorry about that kundalini, I'll remove them. Yes, next time I will ask.

* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

I attempted to remove the pictures.(I'm on TpF on a cell phone at the moment---so hopefully my edit went through.)

Again, my appology.

This gentleman (HikinMike) has done this before. I suggest checking out his work. He's superb! Perhaps he can chime in here a little bit.

He offered his link in this thread : http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/188477-blue-moon-tonight.html

His link : Moon And Clouds - Atwater CA

I just happened to see this thread. Thanks! :blushing:

Like I said in the other thread, this is what I use as a ball park while shooting the moon:

Full Moon - f/11@ 1/ISO So, if you use ISO 100, then f/11, 1/100, ISO 100
Half Moon -f/8 @ 1/ISO
Quarter Moon - f/5.6 @ 1/ISO

Now I blended two exposures to capture both the moon, in detail and the clouds....

The Lunar Eclipse from 2007
LunarEclipse_post.jpg

DUDE, that is amazing looking :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You see, the moon is much closer to the earth in Pennsylvania, hence a hand held shot like yours is not as difficult as in other parts of the world...

Nice handheld shot, I am impressed. Since I stopped drinking, my hands are not as steady.

Of course, I was only kidding about the distance of the moon :D

I am curious, pointing up how did you support the camera in your hands keeping it so steady?

Well, practice and telling myself to calm down. Seems like I'm always a bit stressed when I'm trying to be so still. When I first got this camera I had to put away the long lens and learn again how to be still while holding and pressing the button without moving the camera. Let's not forget the VR, it makes many things handheld possible that I don't believe would be otherwise.

Most reactions

Back