Frustration and wanting to know more about black and white!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by manda, Aug 28, 2003.

1. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

i need to vent and ask some advice.. :irked:

im getting frustrated because i really want to know how to take good black and white and sepia shots ..i really want to start taking a lot more portraits but i dont know which film to use and im thinking that all the types of shots im looking at, must be processed in a dark room. i know they are for sepia anyway.

the shots i was looking at are right click protected so i cant show them here but im sure you know the sort im talking about. not studio photography either...

[​IMG]

this was one of my latest attempts with kodak t max film..not exactly what im looking for, plus she was pulling a weird face lol
    in fact, i really dislike it, especially as she's generally very photogenic, therefore it was me!

[​IMG]

2. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

T max is a decent black and white...but to me, it's sort of all purpose. I hear Fuji makes a 50 ISO that is real good.

Second, where are you getting your pics developed? Don't take them to one of those hour places. They usually print on color paper (even b/w film) and haven't a clue how to color correct. Take your film to a professional lab and they usually color adjust and print on b/w paper.

Now let's critique the bottom photo. Looks like it wasn't metered right. The background is so blown out, I bet your meter was trying to come to a common ground between the subject and the white background....so get average everywhere, perfect nowhere.

3. Face

Face TPF Noob!

are 1 hours good for color photos?

4. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

one hours are ok for snap shots. If photography was my profession I wouldn't trust them.

5. manda

none of the hour photo places here will do black and white. i always have them sent to a lab.

6. enigma

enigma TPF Noob!

kodak makes a c-41 B&W film..... meaning it can be processed in a one hour photolab. But, I would never send anything to a walmart, osco type place, who knows when the last time theey changed the chems... and look at the 16 year old kid at the counter (no bad to 16 year olds)

For B&W films, I use Tri-x, seems to get great contrast. As far as tone on your prints, you can get cool, or warm tone paper (one more bluish, other more brown)

7. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I've never been fond of Tmax, can't really say why. I think it's old resentment from when Tmax first came out and they tried to replace Tri-X and you couldn't hardly get it anywhere because they wanted to sell you Tmax instead. Of course I could be remembering that all wrong...

Manda, have you tried any other films? Can you have your prints printed on a warm tone paper? I think you would like that. If you want sepia, you would need to have them tone it, or you could probably even do that yourself at home, if you bought the chemicals and some trays. You don't need a darkroom to tone.

8. manda

yes well this is what i need to do..try out some new films
    i will ask a lab if they will tone for me..i imagine it costs a bit more however?

9. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Yes, I imagine it would be quite a bit more. Probably something to save for special enlargements or something. However, if they are machine printing them, they could have paper options that might do something for you. Ask them about that next time you are there, just to see.

10. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob TPF Noob!

I just want to point out that if you're really interested in black and white film, you should probably develop your own film. If you're doing more than a few rolls, the savings will probably pay for your equipment. Plus, you get complete control over the process - most labs use dip and dunk machines with the same chemicals for all films, which is not ideal, considering the huge range of films available! I would not process Delta 3200 with Ilfosol S, for instance... there are a lot of film/developer combinations that work well, but who knows what the hell they're using at a lab. Also, you can experiment with push and pull processing, and whatever else interests you. The equipment will probably cost under $75, and you don't even need a darkroom.

11. enigma

enigma TPF Noob!

bobs right, the labs that are good and change chemicals for films... they are not cheap. film processing at home may be a good idea. If doing it your self is not an option, find out where local pro photograghers take there film, its not going to be a hour hour place, but they will do a much better job.

good luck

12. KBOC

KBOC TPF Noob!

It's not all that hard to develop your own film

Why not just get a drum some chemicals and do it yourself?

If all you're doing is the film, you can get away pretty cheep.

And after reading that others are saying the same thing, let me add that you can pick up plus-X cheap, and it's good film.

Not sure about now, but it was the most popular black and white film "back in the day..."

Developer

10x Loupe (magnifier for negatives
    and slides)