FS: Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D lens

jdag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Up for sale is my Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D lens. When I say like new, I mean like new. I purchased this lens new in October 2009 so it is only a few months old. It is in 100% perfect condition. I am selling to fund the 70-200 VRII lens.

I have the original box, documentation, carry case (never unpacked), front and rear lens caps, and even the optional HB-7 lens hood. The lens was $1,100 new, and the hood was $35 new. I am selling both for $975 shipped and pp'd. Yes, this is probably a bit more expensive than other used lenses on the market. But it is literally as good as store bought brand new.

4291414875_7fb11b4849.jpg

4291414825_23ac0cf56a.jpg

4292156236_b8365039f9.jpg

4292156308_f52eeaffbb.jpg

4291414689_edf3e9e8ef.jpg

4291414733_7038f908a4.jpg

Last edited:
Seems a little on the high side for the 80-200.

I did note that the price was listed high and that's because it is a brand new lens and hood.

I would appreciate that commentary is left off of my posting.

I think what jdag was trying to say is that it's highly priced for a 80-200 in general.. Not the fact its a high price for a 2nd hand product.

You could get the much better 70-200 2.8 VR for a similar price

I think what jdag was trying to say is that it's highly priced for a 80-200 in general.. Not the fact its a high price for a 2nd hand product.

You could get the much better 70-200 2.8 VR for a similar price

My price may at 1st pass appear a bit on the high side. However, for a virtually new lens plus hood it is by no means outrageous. The lens is $1,049-$1,099 new today from online retailers. Add the $35 hood, tax and shipping (where applicable) and the total cost is going to come in between $1,085 (if no tax/shipping) and upwards of $1,225 (with 8% tax as in NY). My total asking price is $975 total shipped. Therefore, at least a 10% and as much as a 20% savings. Of course, I would anticipate that a buyer would also negotiate the final price, therefore magnifying those percentages.

My response to boomer was that a commentary on cost is unnecessary in a sale posting. The price is of concern to 2 people: me and the potential buyer.

Lastly, Leezon stated "You could get the much better 70-200 2.8 VR for a similar price". That is flatly incorrect. A like new 70-200 is minimally $1,300 and more likely $1,400-$1,600.

On other forums, the for sale postings cannot be responded to. I would hope that the moderators consider such for this forum.

I hope that someone sincerely interested in this lens sees this posting and remains interested. Although I am fairly certain that the comments in this thread have undermined any chance of that happening.

I have to say I'm with jdag, not to drag this on but I agree... If someone doesn't know by now to research the value of an item before buying, so be it. I don't think the price here that out of line, and he's already said he's open to fair offers.

If he gets asking price, more power to him - both buyer and seller are happy, end of story. I'm personally kind of tired of people being price police.

I have to say I'm with jdag, not to drag this on but I agree... If someone doesn't know by now to research the value of an item before buying, so be it. I don't think the price here that out of line, and he's already said he's open to fair offers.

If he gets asking price, more power to him - both buyer and seller are happy, end of story. I'm personally kind of tired of people being price police.

Thank you

Hello,

i like your Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D lens it is really in very good condition.and it is a very good camera also. but right now i am using my canon so i can't buy that but if i get any client then i will tell you.

thanks

jdag,

I think you should be open to have people say their opinion. As others have said, you have priced your item at where you think it stands and if you are happy with that and your item, then stand true to it and someone may come along and buy it.

It would not be fair to close a for sale thread, and I don't know many forums that have that policy.. as people should be allowed to state their opinions..

As a full time professional photographer, I wanted to state my opinion and as did others.

You cannot convince me that there is any value to either the seller or buyer population that conversing within a sale posting makes sense. This is a for sale posting, not a request for C&C.

Any opinions stated in a sale forum would almost definitely affect the sales process. And the opinions could skew the perceived value for both the seller and buyer.

Someone with no interest in the item stating "Hey, that sounds expensive" could obviously impact the thought process of a potential buyer. Conversely, "Wow...what a deal" could do just the opposite and harm the buyer by influencing a purchase decision.

If the buyer has questions, he/she could PM the seller, post on the forum asking a question such as "what would be a good price for a used xxxxx", use Google, visit a camera store, or any of a number of other research options.

Interestingly, and to me not coincidentally, I have received several (4-5) inquiries and 1 offer via another forum with an identical for sale posting. That site does not allow any responses. I have not received a single inquiry via this site.

Good news...my for sale posting keeps getting bumped to the top! ;-)

wow, great condition on the lens...but the price seems a little bit high compared with other ads with the same item. perhaps ebay might be a good place to get a better price? =)

[FONT=&quot]I had the exact same lens in the same or better condition (under 50 shots taken with the lens since purchased new from Beach Camera) recently sold on Ebay for $835 incl shipping. So I would agree that $975 is a bit high.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Most reactions

Back