Fuji 90mm f/2 or 60mm f/2.4

This is 1:1 with the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF-D...the front section extends out quite a ways at MFD...in normal use, the front _D3X7630.JPG section is way back, by the main barrel.

The Fuji doesn't do that, at least externally.

Now I'm really confused.

There is also a Zeiss 50mm which delivers 1x magnification. The Fuji 60mm is only a .5 magnification. The 60mm is great ... it is Fuji sharp (which means it is at a minimum as sharp as my 'L' lenses and the equal of the Zeiss. But I found the 60mm tends to hunt at bit when extended out for closeups. The 60mm does nice portraits.

I have the 90mm, it performs well, but won't deliver on .5x magnification.

I don't think I want a Zeiss, I'm really liking the way the Fuji lenses work with the XT2 and will probably stick to that for now. What do you mean by "extended out for close ups?" Not sure I get what you're saying there. The minimum focus distance should be 10" or so?

There is also a Zeiss 50mm which delivers 1x magnification. The Fuji 60mm is only a .5 magnification. The 60mm is great ... it is Fuji sharp (which means it is at a minimum as sharp as my 'L' lenses and the equal of the Zeiss. But I found the 60mm tends to hunt at bit when extended out for closeups. The 60mm does nice portraits.

I have the 90mm, it performs well, but won't deliver on .5x magnification.

Mine hunts quite a bit but my Nikkor 60 did too. The better focal length will be the one that suits your shooting style. Personally I like 90mm for 35mm format and 60mm for APS-C. The Fuji 60 is a bargain. I bought mine new for $380 and, as Gary says, it is tack sharp. I've sold all my Nikon gear except for a few accessories. I feel just fine about it. You probably will too. I think your T2 is probably a better camera than your 7100.

$380? They are over $600 new - are we talking about the same lens? I don't really know much about Fuji lens history. Is there a newer and an older version? I want to make sure if I buy used (which is my preference) that I'm getting the newer version. Currently a used "like new" on Amazon is is $440 and a new on Adorama is $649.

I bought my Fuji 60mm f2.4 new. It was a gray market import. I caught it minutes after it was listed. I bought a brand new gray market X-E1 for $285. That camera and lens stay permanently on my tabletop product set. The X-E2 goes with me when I'm out shooting. You can find some amazing deals on photo gear if you dig enough. It takes some time and patience. I'm currently looking for a 10-24 zoom. My target price is $500. So far so bad but I'm not in a terrible hurry.

No thanks, my luck has been bad enough to add gray market anything. If someone told me I could only use one lens and one body, it'd be the 60mm and X-T2

A great picture making combination for sure.

My luck has been almost 100%. I once bought a gray market Nikon F5 that had a metering problem. I couldn't get it fixed in the U.S. so I sent it to Nikon in Japan. They replaced my camera with a brand new one (gray market, of course.) I only paid the shipping charge to Japan. It took less than 2 weeks. Otherwise I have received perfect products every time.

A few weeks ago I bought a factory refurbished E2. Fujifilm doesn't sell refurbished equipment in the U.S. so I know it was gray market. It was $500 with an 18-55 zoom. The camera is perfect. Not a mark. I didn't even have to update the firmware. The lens and accessories were brand new. The only way you would know it was refurbished was the label on the box and the fact that it was missing the lens hood.

I've been finding deals for as long as I can remember. The internet has made it a lot easier.

I agree refurb and used is the way to go. It killed me to pay retail for the XT2! Usually I am at least one or two iterations behind so I can find good deals but the XT2 was so new there is nothing out there.

The last refurb I bought was my Nikon 7100 and the same, you would never have known it wasn't brand-new if it didn't say refurbished on the box

My 7100 was gray market new old stock. It was $600 if I remember correctly. Brand new. Excellent camera. I've bought stuff on Ebay that was used but absolutely pristine for really good prices. The last time I paid retail price for a camera was my first Mamiya RZ-67 just when it was first released. That was quite a while ago. The T2 will serve you well. Great choice.

Just a follow up. I ordered a used 60mm from Amazon and expect it today. After reading a lot about the 60 vs the 90, I opted for the 60 since what I will be using it for is more macro than anything else. The 90 gets such high marks as the sharpest of all Fuji lenses that it was tempting but in the end, I want that bit of macro capability. If I like it, I'll be selling off the rest of my Nikon gear and will have enough for the 90 or the soon to be released Fuji 80mm which will have OIS which I need as I'm not the most steady hand holder...

In taking a few test shots, the barrel does extend when focusing close. Not sure @jcdeboever if maybe you never noticed because your eye is at the viewfinder and not looking at the end of the lens...

In taking a few test shots, the barrel does extend when focusing close. Not sure @jcdeboever if maybe you never noticed because your eye is at the viewfinder and not looking at the end of the lens...
Yeah, it does. What was I thinking

I borrowed a 60 and it was frustrating it hunted so badly. So bad that at times it never did lock on focus. I picked up a 90 and a set of tubes and haven't looked back. The 90 is absolutely the sharpest knife in my drawer and I have the 16 35f2 and 50 f2. I did like the way the 60 rendered at 2.4, very nice bokeh. Not 56 nice , but good enough for portrait work. The 90 will blow backgrounds out as good as the 56 and give you more separation to my eye.

I know the above post was about Macro. If it was me I would spend the extra to get the 80 if macro was the main objective. I just play with macro. Nothing serious.

I borrowed a 60 and it was frustrating it hunted so badly. So bad that at times it never did lock on focus. I picked up a 90 and a set of tubes and haven't looked back. The 90 is absolutely the sharpest knife in my drawer and I have the 16 35f2 and 50 f2. I did like the way the 60 rendered at 2.4, very nice bokeh. Not 56 nice , but good enough for portrait work. The 90 will blow backgrounds out as good as the 56 and give you more separation to my eye.

I know the above post was about Macro. If it was me I would spend the extra to get the 80 if macro was the main objective. I just play with macro. Nothing serious.

Since you revived this old thread...

I bought the 60mm and love it for macro. Using MF and extension tubes, it's killer. Gorgeous backgrounds and colors/contrast. It definitely hunts in low light or with low contrast subjects but in the right situation it is awesome and is still my favorite lens.

After buying the 60mm I then sold off my Nikon gear and have since added a used 90mm which I've used for portraits and with tubes. Very sharp lens! Nice bokeh when wide open but not as nice as the 60, IMO. I also have the 35 f/2 and it's my fastest focusing lens. I didn't get the 80 but maybe someday...

All in all, not a dud in the bunch.

I tried my mates two macro lenses a while ago, both would hunt a little bit but both were very good to use, me I just use either of my Raynox 150 or 250 and will use those with my extension tubes.
The two macro lenses I tried were the Fuji 60mm and the Zeiss 50mm and I thought both were great to try out.

Last edited:
Lol, being a newb here I guess I really should check the dates on these threads:biggrin-93:. I loved the pics I got out of the 60 and as long as it had some contrast or I didn't start off too close with it , it wasn't bad. In the end it was just too much of a production to get a shot, though I really loved the way it rendered. Looks like you got and excellent set of lens, and no there are no bad ones in the bunch. Congratulations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back