Fuji FP-100c May Be Dead

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a heads up. Internationally it was discontinued and Fuji has not said its discontinued in the states but their e-mail response was not all that great:

"FUJIFILM USA has not announced a potential discontinuation of FP-100C in the 3.25 x 4.25 size in the United States. While this does not necessarily mean that the product will not be discontinued, until an announcement is made within the region the product is considered to be currently in production. Unfortunately I am unable to comment on international availability or production statuses, as I can speak only for FUJIFILM USA."

I bought 5 packs just the other day, thankfully, but it might be the last I'll get to shoot.

3.25x4.25" - that's a small positive image. Do you use the negative in some way?

That's an excellent tutorial (ashimagery). That looks good!

Yup, I bleach the negatives, too. I like to do it not only to save a copy in case the positive gets destroyed, but because there are also some interesting color shifts between the positive and negative.

As for its possible discontinuance...

0006sxaf

I used to shoot Polaroid Type 55 B&W in my view camera, and the negatives needed nothing more than a simple sodium sulfite-and-water solution and then a washing to make them permanent! I LOVED the way the peel-apart Type 55 negs looked, with those ever-so-cool round perforations. ( some images of Type 55) Polaroid Type 55 - Google Search )

It's sad to see any useful film discontinued, but as one of the FujiFilm executives told dPreview earlier this year, demand for Fuji's film products has slipped to below one percent of what the demand level was in the year 2000; they are no doubt making some tough decisions based on sales and profitability of the various types of films they've been offering. I think one of the things that really hurts a bigger negative film (sales-wise that is) is the sheer size of 3.25 x 4.25 inches...that requires a big enlarger, or a scanner that can handle relatively large, and uncommon sized negs...

35mm B&W enlargers dominate over 35mm dichroic enlargers, and enlargers that are set up to handle 4.25 inch long-axis negatives are not too common these days, and scanners that can handle a bigger piece of film are mostly confined to better-equipped, film-centric folks.

And also, I suppose that in this digital era, flatbed scanning of prints is another option that many people would take, rather than a color positive/with optional negative film type. I guess it's like the Justin Bieber-ification of this type of instant process...

I was just looking into getting an instant back to handle the 100c for the 4x5 too. glad I didn't hit the purchase button. Hopefully another company will purchase the machinery from Fuji and continue the pack film. Its doubtful but one can hope.

Looking like I will have to invest in New55s film soon

Just got an email saying my order of the 100c has been delayed by at least 3 weeks because of the nationwide shortage :(

I used to shoot Polaroid Type 55 B&W in my view camera, and the negatives needed nothing more than a simple sodium sulfite-and-water solution and then a washing to make them permanent! I LOVED the way the peel-apart Type 55 negs looked, with those ever-so-cool round perforations. ( some images of Type 55) Polaroid Type 55 - Google Search )

I used to shoot Type 655. Took a tuperware tub full of thiosulfite around. Prob the only person to shoot 655 in the field like that.

Type 55 seems to be used only in the studio taking photos of topless people looking aloof and slightly disgruntled.

No it doesn't Derrel, you silIy boy, just slap 'em on the scanner face down and scan away, easy peasy. I've gotten good results...

I haven't tried the bleach yet, having asthma some such things aren't so good to breathe. Darkroom fumes don't bother me though, so I might try it. Saved the negs of anything significant.

There's a guy that goes by Option 8 that's been converting cameras which I thought about getting one done til I got a Colorpack. Supposedly now he's going to convert for Instax Wide. Guess that might be doing better since they're making the cameras.

I hope somebody buys the factory and equipment like Impossible did for their film. And keeps around some of the employees.

The FP-100C discontinuation train finally pulled into the station, long time coming and visible from miles away.

"Reinvented" instant films like the Impossible Project stuff are probably right-sized for the tiny market they sell into, but QC issues and high prices haven't exactly helped their cause, either.

Unlike Kodak, Fuji has virtually no cine film production, which doesn't bode well for the survival of their C-41 lines. Suspect the next discontinuation notice from Fuji will cover their E-6 materials(and others that sell re-spooled Fuji).

Most reactions

Back