Fuji RAWs are rubbing me raw

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by IronMaskDuval, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Unless you've dropped your camera and lens one too many times, the Fuji is extremely sharp. I have found the FX lenses to be at least equal to my Canon L lenses.

Joe is on the money with Adobe and Xtrans. I use Aperture for RAW conversions and global manipulations then a run through Photoshop for polishing and cropping. Aperture is no longer supported by Apple so I have been looking at different RAW processors for my XP2 files. I like what PhotoNinja produces, but PN doesn't handle a large number of files well, it really slows down. C1 is nearly PhotoNinja's equal but I've also been looking at Affinity (Mac only) and Iridient. Iridient gets a big thumbs up from the pixel peeping crowd and I will probably move in that direction ... probably today. But if you're not handling hundreds to thousands of files at a time (not opened but in the queue), then you should be fine. (I am fed up with all my processing time and I have recently changed my shooting from multiple FPS to single frame for most of my events. It has made a significant difference if file count, but not in keepers.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    so, one more question, if you will indulge....
    since i saw darktable was for linux, i went with RT.
    just got it installed and opened...so...new program to learn.
    I see it does a lot of what LR does, but am I supposed to do all the editing in RT and export from there a finished product? or just do the raw conversion in RT and import the jpeg into LR to do my editing?
    if the latter, how do I do just the raw conversion in RT to where i would do my actual editing in LR but still get the advantage of the better conversion from RT?
    #@*&^!* adobe...messing up my whole workflow 'cause they cant adapt to fujis file system well...

3. Gary A.

Top Poster Of Month

Additionally, as I become more familiar with Fuji, I have found that my manipulations for a typical, basic image becoming less and less ... I really don't touch sharpening at all.

4. pixmedic

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually noticed this as well, even compared to my FF nikon raw files.
    the x-e2 files required less dramatic editing in LR.

honestly, i haven't noticed anything "terribly off" just using LR to process my fuji raw files...
    the pictures have all looked good to me. (though admittedly i have not dont any heavy pixel peeping)
    so if the consensus is that other raw converters produce a better result, im interested to see just how much better i can feel about the decision to go fuji when me and the wife are already extremely pleased with it.

5. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You're not going to like this, so don't forget you can instead just stick with using LR.

Do a base conversion in RT. You're concern then is WB, detail and a full tone scale. Output a 16 bit TIF (huge file) to LR for further processing if you want to retain full DR adjustment capacity in LR or output an 8 bit TIF to LR if you've got the tone response in RT close to what you need. Hang on a minute and I'll show you the differences your dealing with.

Joe

6. Gary A.

Top Poster Of Month

I dunno about RT or LR or even LSMFT ... but here's my workflow. I import everything, all my RAW files into Aperture where I perform as much global manipulation(s) as required/as possible. Color Balance, Levels, Contrast, Exposure, et al then save as a JPEG. Then import all the JPEGs into PS when I run them all through again for cropping, burning and dodging and maybe some cloning/dust removal if required. While it takes longer, I think the time between the first Aperture run and the second PS run helps sharpen my overall content intent and focuses my individual image intent and increases Delete Button implementation.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. Gary A.

Top Poster Of Month

But, the big but, if you're happy with your output ... then don't worry about it. You can always download a 30 day trial of the various mentioned programs and see if there is a difference in the final image.

Remember that if you need a computer to see a difference ... then there really isn't a difference.

8. pixmedic

Photos NOT OK to edit
    me and the wife really love the x-e2. its been so much better to use than the big Nikon cameras. the controls are very intuitive once you get the placement down, and it doesn't feel like dragging a 12lb turkey around your neck when we are out with it.
    I just want to get the most out of it. The wife has been fine with the LR processing, but I still want to see if there's any improvement to be had using other methods. we just dont have the budget right now for any additional software purchases,
    (kid has endocrinologist and neurologist visit coming up) but if a free program like Raw Therapee can net me a little better result, even with a slightly longer workflow, Ima gonna give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a good example RAF: Dropbox - DSCF4797.RAF

you can download it and process it yourself. I'll be back in a minute with some examples.

Joe

10. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Here's Wimpy processed using Adobe's default detail and output sharpened for screen:

wimpy.jpg

Here's a 100% crop of the detail processing the file with ACR/LR. In the 2nd version detail was increased using adjustments similar to what Peter Bridgwood suggests in the article posted above.

adobe_with_detail.jpg

Hang on more coming.

Joe

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Does Raw Therapee have the ability to output a .DNG file instead of a .TIF?

12. pixmedic

Photos NOT OK to edit

no. jpeg, png, tiff