Fuji RAWs are rubbing me raw

Hopefully Adobe updates CC soon with more fuji related fixes.
Just changing the sharpening/detail as you suggested made a pretty noticeable difference.
Raw Therapee is free so it doesn't cost me anything to play around with it. I do NOT like the cropping tool in RT.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

So which is it? Is lightening just loading xtrans raw without sharpening?

No idea. Default sharpening in LR is 25 on mine. Can't find a way to change that.
I don't know if there's other issues people are having or if they are just being pixel peeping picky.
The raf file I posted done in LR with the recommended change in sharpening looks good enough to me.
COULD it be done better in RT or capture one, or some other raw editor? Maybe. Probably to some degree. I guess if you want the absolute "best" at the pixel level maybe you wouldn't be happy with LR for raf files, but I think I'm pleased enough with it to just keep using LR. I'm sure adobe will fix the rest of the x-trans issues eventually.

No idea. Default sharpening in LR is 25 on mine. Can't find a way to change that.
I don't know if there's other issues people are having or if they are just being pixel peeping picky.
The raf file I posted done in LR with the recommended change in sharpening looks good enough to me.
COULD it be done better in RT or capture one, or some other raw editor? Maybe. Probably to some degree. I guess if you want the absolute "best" at the pixel level maybe you wouldn't be happy with LR for raf files, but I think I'm pleased enough with it to just keep using LR. I'm sure adobe will fix the rest of the x-trans issues eventually.

pixel peeing isn't something that concerns me. i prefer portraits to not be ultra sharp these days. the problem is that i can notice the softness before zooming in. is it terrible? no. are the raws from the a7 leagues away? yes. i'm not sure that completely a function of ff vs apsc

pixel peeing isn't something that concerns me. i prefer portraits to not be ultra sharp these days. the problem is that i can notice the softness before zooming in. is it terrible? no. are the raws from the a7 leagues away? yes. i'm not sure that completely a function of ff vs apsc
I dunno then. I'll have to take some test shots and experiment more.
All I know is that thus far I've been pretty happy with how LR handles my fuji raf files. More so now that I know about the sharpening changes. Have you tried those adjustments yet to see if it helps?

I dunno then. I'll have to take some test shots and experiment more.
All I know is that thus far I've been pretty happy with how LR handles my fuji raf files. More so now that I know about the sharpening changes. Have you tried those adjustments yet to see if it helps?

To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my XE1. I think I was the one that recommended the XE line to you. I wonder if this is just psychology, knowing that the cameras use the same sensor, but I am expecting more from the XT1 because of its equal cost to the a7.

@pixmedic Wow, ok. So I went through several different RAW software yesterday, and I can confidently say that I am now 100% in love with my X-T1. I settled with Capture One. It's really pricey, but not quite so relative to how well it performs. It's also Sony and Fuji friendly, so it is PERFECT for me. My Fuji Raws are coming in very nicely, and Capture One handles the pictures well without turning them in pastel mud.

I really wanted to try Iridient, but it is a software for Apple. I spoke with Brian yesterday, and he said that he will be releasing a Windows beta at the end of April, but that it will be nothing close to the Apple version. So boo.

BUT, I am really happy now. I woke up this morning really discouraged after trying the different software yesterday, but after I downloaded and used Capture One this morning, it's a world of a difference. Yay

Silky should also handle Xtrans better as a special Silky shipped with my XE-1; It's all around better in my opinion. Not as sexy as LR, but more technical. I'm not wild about LR at all, it always seemed underwhelming.

Silky should also handle Xtrans better as a special Silky shipped with my XE-1; It's all around better in my opinion. Not as sexy as LR, but more technical. I'm not wild about LR at all, it always seemed underwhelming.

ill have to give silkypix a try.

since im in the same fuji boat....might as well ask.
do the other raw converters do what LR does?
since im already using adobe CC, would I need one of those separate raw converters AND LR?
or am I stuck purchasing an expensive raw converter in addition to needing my adobe CC subscription?

Not sure that I understand your question fully, Raw Therapee does a good job with X-Trans. But the bundled converter looks better to me, works well.

If you spend your hard earned money on FUJI X camera and lenses, I think it is silly to try saving on a converter/editor. Capture One Pro costs less than half of the cheapest FUJI X lense, and it is sure more important that just one lense in your bag. I tried Thrapee and Silky and run C1 in parallel with LR for a month and to me there was no competition. Capture One is a well designed, professional quality converter with lots of cataloging and editing functions (There is more than enough for me, I do not even use Photoshop anymore), and it works with X-Trans files beautifully.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back