Fuji st or Sony

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by Elkhunter, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Elkhunter

Elkhunter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I currently own 2 Nikon cameras a 3200 and 7100.
    I am looking into purchasing a Fuji xt series or an a7 series to me it seems the color and sharpness Is better in these than my crop sensor cameras.
    Am I wrong? as well I like super sharp photos for the most part.
    Am interested in people's experiences with this.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I don't think you could go wrong with either way you go. Both cameras deliver 24mp images. The Sony is a FF sensor while the Fuji is the smaller APS-C sensor. A win-win situation.

The FF sensor will provide a thinner DOF at similar aperture openings and less noise at equal elevated ISO.

The APS-C sensor uses significantly smaller lenses for equal focal lengths and aperture. (A kit of similar lenses will be a lot lighter.)

Both Fuji lenses and Sony lenses native lenses are top notch. But, I think Fuji has a larger choice of lenses.

Fuji has all the basic adjustments, ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture (a ring the lens), and many other controls are all levers, dials and switches on the outside of the camera ... minimizes menu diving and easy to manipulate on the fly.

I own Fuji and I am very pleased with the results and the handling of the camera. I have used Sony, and it is a very fine camera, but I think the Fuji is slightly more robust.

3. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Sharpness come from lens quality and sharpness is diminished by the low-pass/AA filter which is fitted to most dSLRs's directly in front of the sensor.

Both the A7 and the XT2 have superior lenses and no low-pass/AA filter in front of the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Going by your reasons to look for a new camera I suggest you look at a Nikon D610 and Pentax K-1 as well. Same price range as your A7 choice. But going by DXO the D610 is slightly better than the A7 in ISO, Dynamic Range, Color, and Tonal Range.

Also in the same price range is the Pentax K-1. It is slightly better than the D610 in the above mentioned specs. And the K-1 does this with a 36mp sensor!!

There are better performers than these, but at much higher prices. It really seems hard to beat the Pentax K-1 in terms of specs vs. price.

5. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    no, you're not wrong in wanting "super sharp" photos and the 'best' color
    But buying three (3) different camera systems and three different assortment of lenses
    that could be considered .... 'wrong'
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Gary. If your into manual type exterior controls, the fujifilm is very wise. I wanted a camera that mimicked a manual film camera and the Fujifilm XT-2 did just that. Now when I go out and shoot either film or digital, they are a similar procedure, that is important to me. Quality of image happened to be a bonus for me as I am not that skilled of a photographer.

7. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I suggest you look at your lenses and techniques. There is no reason any camera you mentioned should be sharper than the ones you currently own. This could be a very expensive lesson if your technique needs improvement

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I switched from Nikon 7100 to Fuji XT2 and am very happy with the move. I haven't changed my technique other than the gear being lighter and easier to hold steady! Definitely getting a lot more keepers and they are super sharp. Also love the Fuji colors, especially the Velvia film simulation for nature photos.

Of course I paid 3x as much for the Fuji so I expect the performance and extras to be better, and they are. The electronic view finder makes getting the exposure perfect in camera very easy and the focus peaking option really helps.

9. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I hope you don't think a different camera will make better images for you. Practice will make better images for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Elkhunter

Elkhunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No I don't think that at all .
    Only like for two reasons as there is somthing to going down in size of equipment .
    Also they seem to take a different type of picture wether it be brighter color or dynamic range if you will.

11. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well I don't share your opinion. Yours, however, will appeal more to the manufacturers and dealers than mine will.

12. Elkhunter

Elkhunter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the quality of the pictures out of these cameras but am talking about a different style or look is what I'm getting at.