Fuji SuperCCD in Fuji 4900Zoom. Please help me figure out what mode to shoot in.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Sash[DSL], Oct 27, 2005.

1. Sash[DSL]

Sash[DSL] TPF Noob!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/fuji4900.html#specs

This is the cam I have, apparently it uses a technology called SuperCCD. Basically, instead of laying light sensors on the CCD square to each other like most other cameras do, this one uses octogonal-shaped sensors, leaving space between them and later "guessing" what colour was in those spaces when the picture is taken. http://www.dpnow.com/vintage/news/0103/news250/pr250a/superccd-sr.gif

So even though the sensor has 2.45 million pixels, it is capable of creating a 4.3mpixel image by adding those scattered pixels in between existing sensors.

From the review on steve's website it seems that the 4.35mpixel interpolated images appear soft and lack detail. I need a testing system to figure out whether it is worth it to take 4mpixel pictures or I shouldn't even bother and go with 2mpixel mode and interpolate/fractualize when I need to. Is there an easy setup to shoot sample pictures from that would make the difference very obvious.

... as well I also need to find out whether iso 125 and iso 800 mode really are useless on this camera as the steves review states. Is there any way of testing the amount of grain in the image precisely ?

2. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Yes, there is. It may not be worth it.

What's the format of the file at 2 megapixels? Is it raw or jpeg?

3. Sash[DSL]

Sash[DSL] TPF Noob!

Well, what is it then?

the camera only does jpeg except 2400x1600 HI mode which is a 4mpixel uncompressed tiff.

4. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Testing is kinda pointless. I can tell you right now that you'll have a LOT of noise and point to a better camera which has less noise.

Are you willing to spend the money for a better camera?