Fujifilm FinePix S5200...

cherrymoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want it.

I've been looking for a new camera (mainly DSLR's) ever since...well, ever since I got my first camera in December. Maybe it's a little early for a new one, but my Kodak Easyshare Z612 has been a little slow lately, and it's not living up to the quality I want to see in my pictures. I've seen other people around TPF who have the FujiFilm, and every one of those photos has been what I'm looking for. I know that the photographer-- not the camera-- is the most important part, but something like this seems like it would really improve my photos.

I don't think I'm ready for a DSLR yet. I've been looking at some, but 1) the nice ones are way over my budget, and 2) I don't think I'd be able to figure one out. I have a Pentax K1000 from eBay, but still haven't used it since I'm waiting to go to my grandma's (next week) and see if I'd rather use an old Nikon film SLR she has.

Anyways, the bottom line is, that my mom (who I told all of this to about 5 minutes ago), doesn't think I'm 'ready' for a new camera. She says that if my Kodak isn't living up to it's standards, that it's still on warranty, and we can go and get it fixed free of charge. This is true, but I still really want a different camera, preferably this Fujifilm FinePix. Kodaks just don't seem to work perfectly with what I want in photography.

Do you think I should splurge, and get the new camera, despite my mom's unhappiness; or get my Kodak 'fixed', and wait a year or so to buy a new one?

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Fujifilm%20FinePix%20S5200%20Digital%20Camera:1992943172:page=details

I think you should defer to your mom's advice. After all, it is she who cares more about you than anyone else. As we go through life we see all kinds of things we want that we can't have. It is the nature of going through life. It doesn't affect your happiness in the long run. What you will find in time is that stuff isn't so important. What is important is health and family.

Honestly, Kodak's cameras are not really worth fixing. I've heard of people calling Kodak's EasyShare cameras "disposable."

We have the 5200 at my store. It does not sell well. Then again, most people who come through either want a DSRL or a small point and shoot. The 5200 is in between. It may be the step up you want. Have you gone to a store to look at it personally? I strongly advise anyone who is looking at cameras to go to a store and physically look at it, not just online.

IMO the S5200 would be a great step before a DSLR. I am a very big fan of SLR style point and shoots. It will teach you about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance... basically everything you need. My girlfriend has the S5100 and it takes great pictures for a 4mp P&S

I suggest living with your current camera and saving up for a DSLR down the road. While SLR-like cameras are certainly decent cameras in many situations...they still have major limitations. One is the small sensor. Another is that the lens is fixed to the camera...no opportunity to upgrade the lens.

If you think you will want/need/get a DSLR down the road anyway...why spend money on a camera that will be replaced?

Another thing about an SLR system is the investment value. If you get an SLR-like camera, it will have very little re-sale value in a year. A DSLR, on the other hand, will hold it's value rather well. The lenses, they hold their value very well. Actually, the top end lenses depreciate very very little. So even though you would be spending more money to buy it...if you ever need/want to sell it, it would be worth much more than a digi-cam.

Don't be worried about the complexity of a DSLR. Actually, I find most digi-cams to be much more confusing. They have all of these auto modes and the names of the modes are different from camera to camera. You have to search though all the menus to change things. With a good DLSR, the controls are easy to use and there are actual buttons to change things, rather than searching though the menus etc.

Not only that, but there are many lenses that actually INCREASE in value as time goes on, such as pentax's Limited series (specifically the models that are discontinued).

Most reactions

Back