Fujifilm finepix S9100 (question about accessories)

PolyurethaneSmile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okie dokie, so I'm new to photography, but I already know which camera I'm going to get. No, i didnt just pick the first cheap one i saw, i asked around, and the Fujifilm S9100 seemed to be a great beginner camera.

So this is what my friend in a different forum told me (not a photography forum, keep in mind)

musts:
1. rechargeable AA batteries, make sure you get NiMH batteries and make sure they have a high maH rating. Something like 2200 or above if possible.
2. 58mm glass UV filter: protects the lens from dust, dirt, and scratches. A lens cloth with this would also be nice, but definitely get the uv filter, it saves your lense from being destroyed.
3. xD card, make sure it's not sD. You can also get cf cards, but the write speed is slower on those. i have a 2 gig xD card, but i'll most likely never fill it up.

I'm definetely getting the UV filter and batteries and xD card.

Optional stuff:
Tripod, case, monopod, polarizing filter, shutter release cable, external flash.

A tripod would be nice, but it can wait. Case ill get because im very clumsy and tend to break things sometimes :p. Polarizing filter i heard from somebody else was a must have, but they're all pretty damn expensive and i dont have extra for that. So could i go with the UV filter and wait to get a polarizing filter? Shutter release cable- if anyone could link me to a cable that works with the s9100, i might consider getting one. But they arent a must have, right? Aaand last but not least the external flash. Heard it was good to have, but i dont need it. I just want some opinions and if anyone can answer my questions, that'll be great!

Welcome to the forum.

That looks like a decent 'SLR-like' camera. I'm not sure what price you have found for it...but for a few hundred more, you could get an actual Digital SLR camera...which would be a much better camera and a much better investment.

Back to your questions:
Nimh batteries are good, so are lithium.
I'm not sure of the filter size of that camera (is it 58mm?). Personally, I wouldn't worry about a UV filter...it's just another piece of glass in front of the lens. Some people use them all the time and they are good as a sacrificial front for the lens.
I highly recommend a polarizing filter for outdoor shooting.
I wouldn't worry too much about the type of card you get...the camera's image buffer will be what determines how many shots you can fire off etc.
I would get a case right off, you don't want to have to pack your camera around without one.
A tripod is a good idea, doesn't have to be a good/expensive one to start with.
You don't really need a remote cable...You can just use the self timer. The important part is that you don't touch the camera when it snaps the photo (when on a tripod or support etc.)

Alright, ill look around for polarizing filters. And the price was $375.95 i think.. I would go for a real slr but i figured since im just starting out, i'd get the "slr 'like'" camera, and then save money as i get better to upgrade.

Thanks for the help!!

-Allison.

I would go for a real slr but i figured since im just starting out, i'd get the "slr 'like'" camera, and then save money as i get better to upgrade.
I get that DSLR cameras are expensive, and not for everybody. But if you do eventually upgrade, the camera in question above will have very little value. It probably wouldn't be worth trying to sell. On the other hand, a DSLR is part of a system. So you could buy the camera and cheap kit lens...then when you wanted to upgrade, you would probably buy better lenses to use on that camera...then when you wanted to upgrade the camera itself, you could use all the same lenses. On top of that, DSLR cameras hold their value much better than a 'digi-cam'. So if you wanted or needed to sell it, it would still be worth something. In fact, top quality lenses, although expensive, hold their value extremely well. You could buy a $1000 lens and use it for 5 years, then sell it for $900. You can't do that with many things, especially electronics.

I'm not trying to push you to spend more than you can afford. Just trying to paint the 'big picture', so to speak.

Yeah, i get what you mean. It would be more sensible i guess for a dslr, but then i'll have to wait even longer than ive been waiting to get the s9100, which has been a while.

Most reactions

Back