Full Frame DSLR with a flip out screen

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger next summer for a new DSLR system. I was into photography very heavy several years ago to the point of a 4x5 view camera, 2 1/4, and of course 35mm. I got completely out of it for about 15 years and have just rescently gotten back into it. I bought a Nikon d5100 with 18-55 for use with my High School Band. The camera is not mine but belongs to the school though I have full use of it. I use it for high quality stills as well as video. One of the features it has is a flip out screen. I like it because I can shoot waist level like I use to with my 2 1/4. What I'm wanting is a professional grade (and I'm open to Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, etc.) with a flip out screen. Are there any?

I've been digging and digging too. Maybe they feel the mechanism needed for a flip out screen would be too delicate for heavy use or something. My Sony F828 has a hindge between the body and lens so you can easily tilt the screen. I've gotten so use to using it waist level that I hate to give that up. Also, just yesterday I was shooting with the camera very close to the floor. Having that flip out screen made it so much easier to compose and shoot.

I'm guessing we won't see flip screens on high end cameras any time soon, if ever. It's a consumer type feature. I bet most pros wouldn't be interested in it.

Won't the a99 have a flip out screen?

Won't the a99 have a flip out screen?
The pictures I've seen show it with a flip out screen but for now the A99 is still "VAPORWARE"

I'm guessing we won't see flip screens on high end cameras any time soon, if ever. It's a consumer type feature. I bet most pros wouldn't be interested in it.
I brought this up with my good buddy chuck who is a wedding/portrait photographer for the past 40 years and has used just about everything coming and going. He said he would love it but, the way Nikon Live View works now with the limited autofocus he doesn't use it. I agree that with the Nikon, the flip out screen is designed primarily for video and not still. I prefer to compose this way and If the Sony A99 comes with this feature, I will buy one. If I can afford it lol.

That is the one feature I know I definitely do NOT want on my cameras. IMO it's a recipe for servicing a broken screen.

That is the one feature I know I definitely do NOT want on my cameras. IMO it's a recipe for servicing a broken screen.
Like I said, it may not be feasible because of durability issues. I bet Nikon could pull it off though.

I brought this up with my good buddy chuck who is a wedding/portrait photographer for the past 40 years and has used just about everything coming and going. He said he would love it but, the way Nikon Live View works now with the limited autofocus he doesn't use it. I agree that with the Nikon, the flip out screen is designed primarily for video and not still. I prefer to compose this way and If the Sony A99 comes with this feature, I will buy one. If I can afford it lol.

I have to say, there was at least one time when I wished I had a flip screen on my camera. It was when I had it on a tripod very close to the ground and was shooting up. I couldn't get to the viewfinder at all and had to practically lay down in order to be able to see the LCD screen. Good luck with your quest! :D

Like I said, it may not be feasible because of durability issues. I bet Nikon could pull it off though.

You guys have to remember, people have been using flip out screens for years with video cameras. It's just like anything else, so long as you're careful it isn't an issue.

I have to say, there was at least one time when I wished I had a flip screen on my camera. It was when I had it on a tripod very close to the ground and was shooting up. I couldn't get to the viewfinder at all and had to practically lay down in order to be able to see the LCD screen. Good luck with your quest! :D

For me, it's one of the best features of my camera. I use that thing all the time.

I don't know that it is necessarily a recipe for disaster. The screen on my 60D stores like a normal screen and is only vulnerable when flipped out. I only use it flipped out for special shots, but having it is very handy. Low angle and extreme high angle come to mind. I think it can be manufactured so that it would be very durable. To break off the one I have would take some pretty good mishandling, or a drop on a hard surface which would probably break something else anyways.

If I can roll around on a skateboard carrying this a foot off the ground, then you're probably safe holding a DSLR stationary. :mrgreen:

IMG_2293Medium.jpg

I don't know that it is necessarily a recipe for disaster. The screen on my 60D stores like a normal screen and is only vulnerable when flipped out. I only use it flipped out for special shots, but having it is very handy. Low angle and extreme high angle come to mind. I think it can be manufactured so that it would be very durable. To break off the one I have would take some pretty good mishandling, or a drop on a hard surface which would probably break something else anyways.

Your 60D may be a nice camera but it is not professional grade (or close to it). A lot of what makes a pro camera just that is weather resistance and sealing. I'm not sure how well a 60D or a D5100 would do in a sandstorm while shooting the Dakar rally. I could see sand getting all stuck in the screen hinge and possibly killing it altogether.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back