Full Frame DSLR with a flip out screen

60D is not weather sealed? D7000 is weather sealed...

I doubt that the mechanical hinge needed would be anymore delicate than the other mechanical components of a pro-level SLR. Zooming and focusing etc.

I doubt that the 60D or the D7000 are nearly as well sealed as the pro grade cameras are.

I think that the there are a lot of us amateurs who don't need extreme weather proofing or ability to be used as a jackhammer that would like a full featured, full frame DSLR with a flip out screen.

That is the one feature I know I definitely do NOT want on my cameras. IMO it's a recipe for servicing a broken screen.

I don't know that it is necessarily a recipe for disaster. The screen on my 60D stores like a normal screen and is only vulnerable when flipped out. I only use it flipped out for special shots, but having it is very handy. Low angle and extreme high angle come to mind. I think it can be manufactured so that it would be very durable. To break off the one I have would take some pretty good mishandling, or a drop on a hard surface which would probably break something else anyways.

Your 60D may be a nice camera but it is not professional grade (or close to it). A lot of what makes a pro camera just that is weather resistance and sealing. I'm not sure how well a 60D or a D5100 would do in a sandstorm while shooting the Dakar rally. I could see sand getting all stuck in the screen hinge and possibly killing it altogether.

Nope its not professional grade, and I never alluded to that or anything close. The only reason for bringing up my model was to bring validity to the point of having first hand experience w/ the swivel screen. I don't really believe that if this option was offered on a pro-grade camera that it would be the same as the one I have on my 60D. The weather sealing on the 60D is not really that much different than the weather sealing on the 7D, neither one btw is even close to the 1D models.

I wouldnt hesitate to take my 60D to Dakar to photo the rally, but then if my camera got trashed I was still at Dakar :lol:.

That is the one feature I know I definitely do NOT want on my cameras. IMO it's a recipe for servicing a broken screen.

Not to mention the limitations and issues with using Live View over an OVF.

There are advantages to using live view, as well. If equipped several camera's can preview DOF, white balance and histograms before taking the shot. I just read an article about it in a Wildlife Photo mag, sorry can't remember the name and not at home to check, that pointed out several advantages that I hadn't thought about before. Again not saying that live view is the best thing ever, but there are advantages in certain situations.

There are advantages to using live view, as well. If equipped several camera's can preview DOF, white balance and histograms before taking the shot. I just read an article about it in a Wildlife Photo mag, sorry can't remember the name and not at home to check, that pointed out several advantages that I hadn't thought about before. Again not saying that live view is the best thing ever, but there are advantages in certain situations.

I never thought of that.

EDIT: So if you don't have live view, how do you check WB? Is that what those cards are for?

It may come to that

There are advantages to using live view, as well. If equipped several camera's can preview DOF, white balance and histograms before taking the shot.

I can preview DOF through my OVF but I agree that it can have its uses. So far I've only found it advantageous when manual focusing on a stationary subject, particularly for close up and macro. It's nice being able to zoom in on a particular spot to make sure it is tack sharp. I've found in nearly useless for any moving subjects though.

I doubt that the 60D or the D7000 are nearly as well sealed as the pro grade cameras are.

That's some interesting speculation. Got anything to back that up? I've seen even non-weather sealed DSLRs take a hell of a beating out in the dust and rain so...

I am hoping the upcoming Nikon D400 or D800 will have an articulating LCD screen. We'll see. MarvinH

I mean why the hell not? If you don't like it, just leave it unflipped. My ONLY objection is that if it turns out like the D5100 and all the buttons get remapped. I like the current Nikon button layout. If the articulated screen turns out to be like the D5000's I would be more okay with it.

The 60D's flip screen drove me crazy. If you want a flimsy little flip screen for video, buy a video camera.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back