Full Frame DSLR with a flip out screen

Just get a FF and enjoy, no need for debate =)

Which brings me back to my OP, a FF DSLR with a articulated screen.....lol

Picture noise used to also be less of a problem on a FF camera, than on a crop body camera but that gap has narrowed considerably as well to the point of being unnoticeable.

skieur

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Like this you mean, Skieur??? There is a big difference in noise performance between the three. Admittedly, you may be right about the other aspects of performance. But the A77 has poor high ISO performance, the D7000 has average high ISO performance and the D3S has ridiculously amazing HIGH ISO performance. This test again exposes the flaws in your argument!

A thing for you to know is that full frame is still better. Nikon regard full frame as pro so all high end equipment are made for full frame, so you have to go full frame. In reality, full frame only have one big up, which is resolution.

Picture noise used to also be less of a problem on a FF camera, than on a crop body camera but that gap has narrowed considerably as well to the point of being unnoticeable.

skieur

Like this you mean, Skieur??? There is a big difference in noise performance between the three. Admittedly, you may be right about the other aspects of performance. But the A77 has poor high ISO performance, the D7000 has average high ISO performance and the D3S has ridiculously amazing HIGH ISO performance. This test again exposes the flaws in your argument!

From your link:

"Apart from a lower low-light ISO score due to its translucent mirror, the Sony A77 comes very close to matching these full-frame cameras. This demonstrates that even if the full-frame format dominated the high-end market when launched, they have now lost a big part of their advantage."

Note also the so-called difference in score from 78 to 82....Not much difference.

Of course, why not compare photos, you won't see much of a difference and I am not impressed by any of them.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

skieur

Last edited:

skieur

From your link:

"Apart from a lower low-light ISO score due to its translucent mirror, the Sony A77 comes very close to matching these full-frame cameras. This demonstrates that even if the full-frame format dominated the high-end market when launched, they have now lost a big part of their advantage."

Note also the so-called difference in score from 78 to 82....Not much difference.

Of course, why not compare photos, you won't see much of a difference and I am not impressed by any of them.

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

skieur

Yep. You're right, a full frame sensor is supposed to be better than crop sensor cameras by 13 points (15 points = 1 stop). Just wait for D4 to come out and see the difference in points. Hoping to see D4 to have 93 points or more (13 points more than D7000), if the points are lower than 93 - it means Nikon's technology in D4's sensor worsened or Nikon simply wasn't able to salvage as much performance from the sensor compared to D7000.

There are advantages to using live view, as well. If equipped several camera's can preview DOF, white balance and histograms before taking the shot. I just read an article about it in a Wildlife Photo mag, sorry can't remember the name and not at home to check, that pointed out several advantages that I hadn't thought about before. Again not saying that live view is the best thing ever, but there are advantages in certain situations.

Unfortunately I just found out that neither my D7000 or D800E allows DOFP during Live View!

OK, why are you bringing back long dead threads?

There are advantages to using live view, as well. If equipped several camera's can preview DOF, white balance and histograms before taking the shot. I just read an article about it in a Wildlife Photo mag, sorry can't remember the name and not at home to check, that pointed out several advantages that I hadn't thought about before. Again not saying that live view is the best thing ever, but there are advantages in certain situations.

Unfortunately I just found out that neither my D7000 or D800E allows DOFP during Live View!

So? It would be so dark, it would be unusable!

and to echo Mlee.... why open Zombie threads? lol!

That is the one feature I know I definitely do NOT want on my cameras. IMO it's a recipe for servicing a broken screen.

I don't know that it is necessarily a recipe for disaster. The screen on my 60D stores like a normal screen and is only vulnerable when flipped out. I only use it flipped out for special shots, but having it is very handy. Low angle and extreme high angle come to mind. I think it can be manufactured so that it would be very durable. To break off the one I have would take some pretty good mishandling, or a drop on a hard surface which would probably break something else anyways.

Your 60D may be a nice camera but it is not professional grade (or close to it). A lot of what makes a pro camera just that is weather resistance and sealing. I'm not sure how well a 60D or a D5100 would do in a sandstorm while shooting the Dakar rally. I could see sand getting all stuck in the screen hinge and possibly killing it altogether.

I'll get to the rest of the thread eventually, and it may already be posted, but the Olympus OM-D is a weather sealed camera with a hinged screen. It can be done.

It could also be useful to a pro. Not all pros shoot the same thing at an easy level where they can see through the viewfinder all the time. Concert photography, car photography, sport photography, etc... You may never using it is you're shooting food or standard portraiture, but that doesn't mean that pros in other fields wouldn't have a use for it.

That is the one feature I know I definitely do NOT want on my cameras. IMO it's a recipe for servicing a broken screen.

On the cameras that I have, I broke the screen on the only one that was NOT a flip out.

skieur

On the cameras that I have, I broke the screen on the only one that was NOT a flip out.

skieur
That probably happened from using that old fashioned equipment.

skieur

Well, yes and no. If you are just shooting at high ISOs, then yes there is a big difference but then there is also gigantic price difference between the A77 and the D3S...around 5X higher cost for the D3S. At the same time however, the A77 has in-camera methods for reducing noise and using lower ISOs in lowlight conditions. Twilight mode goes to ISO 25,000, for example. With no flipping mirror on the A77, I have seen usable shots at 1 second handheld at ISO 100 in lowlight.

skieur

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger next summer for a new DSLR system. I was into photography very heavy several years ago to the point of a 4x5 view camera, 2 1/4, and of course 35mm. I got completely out of it for about 15 years and have just rescently gotten back into it. I bought a Nikon d5100 with 18-55 for use with my High School Band. The camera is not mine but belongs to the school though I have full use of it. I use it for high quality stills as well as video. One of the features it has is a flip out screen. I like it because I can shoot waist level like I use to with my 2 1/4. What I'm wanting is a professional grade (and I'm open to Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, etc.) with a flip out screen. Are there any?
I heard a rumor that Canon will be releasing the 6D mkII with a flip out screen.

Most reactions

Back