Full Frame Nikon Problem

Ion Zone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm having massive massive problems finding a decent lens for my new Nikon D700, I don't have a big budget but as I am attempting to go professional I really need a proper Full Frame lens. Unfortunately Nikon don't seem to label which these are. :playball: If anyone can help I would really like two lenses in (very roughly) the 12-60mm and 60-300mm (200mm is 0k) range without a noticeable gap.

1. Around £400 - £600 each
    -
  2. Sigma or Nikon lenses are 0k
    -
  3. Must be full frame (DX only uses half the sensor :???:)
    -
  4. Must have auto-focus and not be of a fixed focal length
    -

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Your best option is going to be the Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 and the 70-200mm F2.8 VR. They are expensive, but you won't need to upgrade later.

You could go with a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 and a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 and save a considerable amount of money...but you may always have that nagging feeling of wanting to upgrade to the Nikon lenses.

Add the 12-24mm for an ultra wide angle lens.

If a Nikon lens has the nomenclature "DX" in its name, it is not designed for a full-frame body, but it will mount and shoot, although there will be incomplete image circle coverage at wider angles. SO, unles it says DX, it's a FF lens.

Your desire for a 12-60mm lens is one that cannot be realized in one lens. Same with the 60mm bottom end on a 60-300 or 60-200, but the 70-200 VR lens comes close.

If you are coming from APS-C and thinking of what a 12mm is in FF, it would be something like 18mm, leaving the 17-35 f/2.8 as one good option, or the smaller and lighter 18-35.

Nikkor Lens Assessment by Thom Hogan

A chart by Thom Hogan on Nikkor zoom lenses. It will tell you DX versus FX.

Please do not cheap out on lenses with the D700. You will not get the best out of it.

There is a plethora of primes that will work wonderfully and also save on the wallet.

Last edited:
Some say the 24-70mm and 70-200mm Sigmas are decent. But they didn't perform very well in a recent test. They'll get the job done... I guess.

But yeah... it makes absolutely no sense to cheap out on lenses.

There is a plethora of primes that will work wonderfully and also save on the wallet.

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/2.8 Macro and 70mm f/2.8 Macro are all excellent and affordable, IMO. But the thread starter is not interested in primes, so...

I'm having massive massive problems finding a decent lens for my new Nikon D700, I don't have a big budget but as I am attempting to go professional I really need a proper Full Frame lens. Unfortunately Nikon don't seem to label which these are. :playball: If anyone can help I would really like two lenses in (very roughly) the 12-60mm and 60-300mm (200mm is 0k) range without a noticeable gap.

1. Around £400 - £600 each
    -
  2. Sigma or Nikon lenses are 0k
    -
  3. Must be full frame (DX only uses half the sensor :???:)
    -
  4. Must have auto-focus and not be of a fixed focal length
    -
Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Actually, not all DX lenses only use half the sensor.

4. As Kundalini mentioned, fixed focal length lenses (known as primes) usually produce the best images and many pros will turn off AF and do it manually for really critical shots.

1. Pro lenses are typically in the $1800 USD or so price range.

2. Be careful, I hear Sigma has been having some knarly quality issues of late.

The basic all Nikon pro zoom lens kit for a FX camera body 14-200mm:

AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED $1800 USD
AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED $1800 USD
AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR $1950 USD

But the thread starter is not interested in primes, so...
I'm having massive massive problems finding a decent lens for my new Nikon D700, I don't have a big budget but as I am attempting to go professional I really need a proper Full Frame lens.

Does anyone have any ideas?.

Anything wrong with offering choices?

I don't have a big budget but as I am attempting to go professional I really need a proper Full Frame lens. Unfortunately Nikon don't seem to label which these are. :playball: .

I am not saying this to cause you greif, but if you don't know what lenses you will need for your camera, are you really ready to go pro?

Small budgets and Pro gear are 2 things that just don't go together, and if you go cheap, you will find you just have to buy the right stuff later on anyway.

Mike had it right with the 24-70 F2.8 and the 70-200 VR F2.8 lenses.
These are the staple pro lenses for Nikon. You can't go wrong with them. They are fast and sharp.

But the thread starter is not interested in primes, so...
I'm having massive massive problems finding a decent lens for my new Nikon D700, I don't have a big budget but as I am attempting to go professional I really need a proper Full Frame lens.

Does anyone have any ideas?.

Anything wrong with offering choices?

Haha... no. You are right, of course. His options are very limited... considering how much he is willing to spend on a zoom lens. 600 British pounds doesn't get you very far. At least not in the UK.

Good glass and not quite as expensive:
Nikkor 18-35 (not pro but not bad)
Nikkor 35-70 2.8 (older model pro lens)
Nikkor 80-200 2.8 (older model pro lens)
Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (too cheap and good not to have one)

Pat

The answer is quite easy a general rule of thumb a variable aperture is not a pro lens it may have a 'sweet spot' but often it is a prime hidden in a zoom body. If you have a small budget and need GOOD lenses the only option is to go prime. Patrice has it right on the 50, I like the 1.4 as the new 1.8 has a crappy mount. 35-50 is bad either, it fringes a bit here and there. The 80-200 I have never used so I can't say but it is rumoured to be good. The 85 f1.8, 20 f2.8, 105 df f2, 35 f2, 60 macro f2.8, and the 24 f2.8 are great lenses and the most expensive is well a grand but most are in the 600 range. Pro means pro, there is no cheap pro anything.

Most reactions

Back