Full Time Exposure Compensation on Nikon F5?

SpikeyJohnson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I recently got ahold of a Nikon F5 at my local camera shop for $250. It was a great deal! I've run into a problem after processing the negatives and printing contact sheets where I have noticed that the camera likes to expose about a stop over exposed. I verified this by knowing how my other camera (Canon A-1) exposed and then also tested the Nikon F5 meter along with my D610 meter. Sure enough when I compared it to the D610, it was a stop difference.

I know that the camera has Exposure Compensation as a setting on the camera and for now I have set it to a 1 stop difference to compensate. What I am wondering is if this camera is capable of something like the "Default Exposure Compensation" setting much like the new Nikon DSLR's where you can change the metering by up to a few stops for more accuracy (without using the expsure compensation, using the Exposure Compensation Button).

I have read though most of the manual and found that there is a Custom Settings Menu but I didn't see anywhere in that menu, a way to change the default metering.

Alrighty! I'll do that then. I guess I was looking more for the new method that they use these days and they did it differently back then through ISO.

Alrighty! I'll do that then. I guess I was looking more for the new method that they use these days and they did it differently back then through ISO.
Yes and no. Many old time cameras like Minolta X700 have a separate dial to set compensation, usually in half stops increments and I am sure F5 has it to. However if your copy has bad light meter, setting ISO manually is the best way. However you should check if this inconsistency is linear, if the mistake is always same in any light conditions. I have a number of old cameras and I stop bothering with calibrating all built in light meters. I use external instead, there is already enough problems with old shutters.

The F5 has a self-monitoring, self-adjusting shutter...every shot it fires it checks the timing...pretty unusual.

One thing you might want to check is the center-weighted metering circle diameter, Custom Setting 14, page 89 in the manual. The Custom Function options (besides the default???) are 8mm,15mm,and 20mm circle diameter. The standard is 75% of the meter within the 12mm diameter scribed circle on the focusing screen; then the remaining 25% is weighted over the remainder of the entire field of view. This is not what I think is going on, but it could be something you'd like to check into...

Not sure what viewfinder screen is installed....but in the past, many accessory viewfinder screens required that the user adjust the ISO setting in use to compensate for the specific type of viewfinder screen used.

To compensate for a specific screen's brightness/transmission level, use Custom Function #18, page 90 in the manual. Nikon has programmed in -2.0 to + 2.0 EV exposure screen compensation values, in 0.5 EV increments.

It is possible that the prior owner used a different focusing screen, and has set the camera to meter properly with a different focusing screen.

Derrek
The F5 has a self-monitoring, self-adjusting shutter...every shot it fires it checks the timing...pretty unusual.

One thing you might want to check is the center-weighted metering circle diameter, Custom Setting 14, page 89 in the manual. The Custom Function options........
Darrel, :encouragement: eventually the best of you came out of you ! That is an informative answer. And I was wondering why F5 might be so much off with exposure. Apparently it is more complicated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back