Full time professional photographer

I'd say if either your entire income is made through photography or if you work with photography 40+ hours a week to make money you would be considered a "full time" proffesional.

The accounting term for professional, as gsgary stated, is 51% of your income comes from a specific profession. Full time, I believe, in the United States, is federally recognized at 30 hours per week. But standards may change by state and will change by country.

Last edited:
What's your definition of a full time professional photographer?
Really?
Did we have to go there?
Like we haven't had to clean up enough threads lately......

Sheesh.

Time is an illusion.
Lunch time doubly so.

What's your definition of a full time professional photographer?
Really?
Did we have to go there?
Like we haven't had to clean up enough threads lately......

Sheesh.

Time is an illusion.
Lunch time doubly so.

I'm totally lost...
It was kinda a joke.
Those kinds of questions usually wind up in an argument of some sort.

The time reference was a Douglas Adams quote

LOL It's a legitimate question though, different than "what is a professional photographer?".

A lot of us started out as part time, but when do you realize that you're now full time? Is it because of the amount of time that we spent, the money that we earned, our only profession, or all of that?

But…I do wonder…51% of your income?
So, if I spend at least 40 hours a week, or whatever that standard is, doing photography or photography-related activities (marketing, processing, bookkeeping), and I make…oh, say, $500 in a year (no, I didn't leave out any zeros) either from client shoots or selling prints, etc. BUT that is ALL I earn from ANYthing because hubby/daddy/mommy/significant other pays my bills…am I then a "full time professional photographer?"

And yeah, sorry Pix…this is exactly the kind of thing that feeds the hungry wolves…but I couldn't help it. :D

Some folks say it's income related but I say it's skill and behavior based.

But…I do wonder…51% of your income?
So, if I spend at least 40 hours a week, or whatever that standard is, doing photography or photography-related activities (marketing, processing, bookkeeping), and I make…oh, say, $500 in a year (no, I didn't leave out any zeros) either from client shoots or selling prints, etc. BUT that is ALL I earn from ANYthing because hubby/daddy/mommy/significant other pays my bills…am I then a "full time professional photographer?"

What if I'm the bread winner, but my wife also works and pays for part of the bills?

Most reactions

Back