Full time professional photographer

Really, that's your problem? Oh sorry, my deepest apologies to you and your family for using the wrong face while typing a a single line humour related remark.

:icon_salut:

A professional is suppose to treat their clients with respect, do the job to expectations or better. Produce above average images consistently, deliver the final work on time or sooner. Be flexible during shoots, if something happens that requires a shooting change, don't whine about it. Once you accept a contract from a client, they have the rights to ask you to make changes, within reason, and if you are experienced and skilled enough, what they ask for should not be an issue.

I tell all my clients that I am the easy part of the event, just give me a shot list of what they require, and let me go work. There are other things going on that will require more attention, worrying about the photographer they hire should never be a concern.

A professional is suppose to treat their clients with respect, do the job to expectations or better. Produce above average images consistently, deliver the final work on time or sooner. Be flexible during shoots, if something happens that requires a shooting change, don't whine about it. Once you accept a contract from a client, they have the rights to ask you to make changes, within reason, and if you are experienced and skilled enough, what they ask for should not be an issue.

I tell all my clients that I am the easy part of the event, just give me a shot list of what they require, and let me go work. There are other things going on that will require more attention, worrying about the photographer they hire should never be a concern.

Agreed, attitude and adaptability is the most important part.

What's your definition of a full time professional photographer?

I currently work 8 hours a day in a studio, Monday through Friday, every week. In the past 4 months or so, I've photographed and edited over 1200 products, amongst other things I do for the company I work for. This is my primary source of income.

With all that in mind, I consider myself a full-time professional photographer.

My contract here ends in just short of 2 years, at which point I plan to step out of the product photography indefinitely. I'll still shoot portraits and landscapes, will focus on growing my wedding client base, and I'll still consider myself a professional photographer. However, unless my primary source of income is photography, I won't consider it full-time.

I have read that to be classed professional at anything you need to earn 50% of your income from it

Actually, not true. In engineering and other licensed professions, it's illegal to call yourself a 'professional engineer' etc unless you are fully licensed, as to not demote the industry since it's self regulated.

But I would agree this isn't a bad way to base 'professional' for in general, as only 30% of your income should be living expense. *ha* So in essence, you need to be making a living doing it.

I have read that to be classed professional at anything you need to earn 50% of your income from it

Actually, not true. In engineering and other licensed professions, it's illegal to call yourself a 'professional engineer' etc unless you are fully licensed, as to not demote the industry since it's self regulated.

But I would agree this isn't a bad way to base 'professional' for in general, as only 30% of your income should be living expense. *ha* So in essence, you need to be making a living doing it.
In California there are two classes of engineer, Engineer and Professional Engineer. A professional engineer is certified by the State of California as"Professional". A Professional Engineer is responsible to make construction/design/engineering decisions which have no regard to time and expense but rather the sounded of the construction.

In California there are two classes of engineer, Engineer and Professional Engineer. A professional engineer is certified by the State of California as"Professional". A Professional Engineer is responsible to make construction/design/engineering decisions which have no regard to time and expense but rather the sounded of the construction.

I live in Canada and am hoping to be an EIT (engineer in training-ie not licensed, but the experience counts towards my license) soon-there are not multiple classes of engineers here. 'professional' is a pretty vague term :) But it *is* illegal to say you are a professional engineer in Canada without the license. The more you know :)

I live in Canada and am hoping to be an EIT (engineer in training-ie not licensed, but the experience counts towards my license) soon-there are not multiple classes of engineers here. 'professional' is a pretty vague term :) But it *is* illegal to say you are a professional engineer in Canada without the license. The more you know :)
Professional Engineers in California have a special pro stamp and they stamp plans. You can't build stuff here without that stamp. (That stamp also has significant liability.)

I would consider full time photographers people who make a living wage from photography. It's what they focus on.

Personally, I'm not sure I could be a full time photographer.

I'm not sure I could put up with all the BS while acting like everything is amazing.

Professional Engineers in California have a special pro stamp and they stamp plans. You can't build stuff here without that stamp. (That stamp also has significant liability.)

The stamp is also required in Canada.

I would consider full time photographers people who make a living wage from photography. It's what they focus on.

I'm not sure I could put up with all the BS while acting like everything is amazing.
A lot of photographers will tell you how much work they have, how they don't have a minute to spare. The reality of the situation is usually quite opposite. I could say I'm going all day, reality is, I am, but it's not shooting, it's been scanning old negs for the past two weeks. I haven't touched a camera in three weeks. So that's three weeks of no "new" money coming in. I make money off my photo archive. Next week I head out for a two week shoot. I don't lie to other photographers or potential clients about how busy I am. I tell people I need the work, if I say I'm busy all the time, they may figure too busy and go someplace else.

Yeah, I certainly feel like I'm busy as Hell, but it's easy to find spare time in every day I have shoots lined up, everyday (except next Sunday) for the next two weeks. Even as busy as that will keep me, if someone were to contact me regarding a shoot on, say, next afternoon, I could certainly work it into my schedule.

It was great ... in between all the BS and waiting. Didn't make a ton of money, but I wasn't in it for the money. It was the best job for a kid ... but then things started getting repetitive and I decided it was time to wake up and get a real job and a real family, like everybody else.

Last edited:

I was. It was great ... in between all the BS and waiting. Didn't make a ton of money, but I wasn't in it for the money. It was the best job for a kid ... but then things started getting repetitive and I decided it was time to wake up and get a real job and a real family, like everybody else.

I've tried it but I just don't think I've found my place in it. I rarely ever had a client who I took photos of, they paid me, thanked me, and that was that.

It usually ended in an attempted negotiation of price (even after it was decided and contracted), "Can I have all the raw files," or just general lack of cordial communication.

This is in the portrait realm, though, mind you. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

Most reactions

Back