FullFrame Sensor in D7000 body?

RRRoger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
assuredphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you think Nikon will come out with a D7000fx?
Using mostly off the shelf parts, my dream camera would be:

1. The D7000 is the perfect size camera for me.
2. I would like an affordable D3s, so use that Sensor.
3. Two SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-I Memory Card Slots
4. One or more Expeed 3 Processors.
5. One Gigabyte of on-board memory.
6. Latest Focus system
7. Articulating LCD screen.
8. 100% ViewFinder
9. 11fps at 1/8000s
10. HD1080 at 24, 25, 50, & 60fps.
11. Video recording for at least 29 minutes.
12. Adjustable AMP for Audio recording & playback.
13. Locking mode dial

Not off the shelf improvements:
14. On-Board GPS.
15. Remote for controlling Video as well as Stills.

Last edited:
Highly doubt it. Nikon wont release a sub 2000 FX.

mabye D700S perhaps.

700 is full frame the 7000 is not, I think its only $1000 difference between them, I know wich I would go for

Highly doubt it. Nikon wont release a sub 2000 FX.
I think it would be a bargain at the suggested D700 price.
Just think about it, a lot more camera in a smaller package.
And if the FX sensor did not fit,
They could remove the mirror box like they did with the Nikon 1.

Last edited:
a D7000FX with your listed features while 'off the shelf' (in terms of developed or available parts) would have Nikon selling the camera at a loss.

also if that camera were to come out a D700s/800 would be pointless. unless the sensor is completely different which would then put that camera selling at a loss or at a price point that no one would even consider it an option due to the D7000FX being available. not to mention a different generation of sensor in the same generation of cameras will just be both a marketing and R&D headache.

with those features you have in mind even the D4 might become a questionable purchase otherwise the D4 will have to be a godly camera that could probably honestly last you through to the D6 without even worrying about getting the D5....

also i dont think Nikon is ready to remove the mirror box....if they did coupled with your wishlist...the additional internals again would just make the loss being incurred even greater lol

edit: if they sold it at the price of the D700 then it would just be called the D800 lol...also there will be other specs that will differ sensor size aside that will require the extra room...

Last edited:
It sounds like you need a 5d mkII. Small, full frame camera.

one thing tho: the on board memory, why would you need that? at the most complex thing i can think of is as a temporary cache to allow for high fps before it gets transferred to your memory card but otherwise...i really see no point of it

a D7000FX with your listed features while 'off the shelf' (in terms of developed or available parts) would have Nikon selling the camera at a loss. <<<

How many do you think they would need to sell at $1995 each to make a profit?
I think the number would be greater than the D700 + D3s.

Quote>>also if that camera were to come out a D700s/800 would be pointless. unless the sensor is completely different .<<<

The D800 is almost certain to have a much larger MegaPixel Sensor, body, & battery.
That is why I want the D3 Sensor. It is perfect for my needs.

The D4 will be bigger yet, faster, use compact flash cards, and no doubt their will eventually be a D4x as well.

It sounds like you need a 5d mkII. Small, full frame camera.

I had a 5D2.
The manual stills and manual Video are really, really good.
Any Nikon focuses much better.
I like fast AutoFocus Zooms.
I do not want to wait for them and then find my Pictures are blurred.
After considerable work, one in ten pictures were as good or better than my D3,
the rest were throw aways.
I got tired of missing important shots.

And I want fast AutoFocus Video.
A HDSLR that can capture an action sequence.

As for the huge 1GB buffer, it may be to much, I just know that the D7000 does not have enough internal memory.

I agree with Molested Cow! I expect the D800 to basically be a full frame sensor with all of the latest tech.... basically a D7000 built to even higher standards, and with a FF sensor.

I agree with Molested Cow! I expect the D800 to basically be a full frame sensor with all of the latest tech.... basically a D7000 built to even higher standards, and with a FF sensor.

Problem is that we may have to wait two more years for the D800.
If Nikon wanted to, they could put a D7000fx in my hands by then.

Oh.. no R&D needed huh.. just throw a FF sensor in? Not likely! :) Although if you can talk them into doing that, I'll go for it!

Most reactions

Back