Fun with dual toning

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by terri, Aug 22, 2005.

1. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not exactly an alternative process, but not darkroom, either, so I decided to pop these in here. :)

I've been wanting to try this for awhile. This is from an older HIE negative of mine. I thought it would make for an interesting subject for this technique because of the sky - but, in the end I think the image is a tad too busy. :blushing: Live & learn!

Providence Canyon, untoned IR:
    [​IMG]

I first bleached the image briefly; less than a minute. Then into a much diluted sepia bath. After a short wash, I put it into the blue toner (again diluted about 1:4). I was trying to get the sepia into the lighter tones (clouds and rock formations) and the blue into the darker tones.

[​IMG]

I also tried the process in reverse, just cause I'd read about "interesting effects" to tone first with the non-archival toner (in this case the blue) for an extended period of time, followed by the archival toner. The blue turned out to be a bit heavy-handed, leaching into the clouds, and not as effective.

[​IMG]

Here is what I originally did with this image - I like to play around with my stuff and see what various things I can do with them, and I think I like this particular image handcolored the best! :lol:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :)

2. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I saw the 2nd image I literally said holy crap :lol: these are awesome Terri!!

3. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Wow! I really like 2 and 4, they're amazing. I need to get started with toning sometime.

4. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

DID I HEAR HIE????????? Very nice terri. love it.

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bahahahaha!!!! Yes, it's an HIE negative, Dirt. Glad you approve. ;)

Karalee, the second image is the one that actually shows the process the best. :thumbup: I'm glad you like it!

It's a fun process, although I think I'm going to try RC papers next. I definitely need some more toners, too. Fun and easy - just start with a pile of prints and give yourself a few hours to work. :)

Thanks for kind words, all!