Fun With Settings...

Nitro Boy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

This is a post of pictures from my first real "photo-outing." I went to SCC for about 6 hours yesterday (Spokane, WA)

Mostly, this is more of a "get a feel for your camera" day. I would say I made a helluva improvement on getting things right. Let me know what you think, and dont feel afraid to post

SawHorse:
0744Small.jpg

Open:
0687Small.jpg

Leaf:
0722Small.jpg

Drain:
0708Small.jpg

Light:
0704Small.jpg

Steel:
0695Small.jpg

Droplets:
0757Small.jpg

Now, the colors arent nessicarily the best on these shots. Dont be afraid to post to tell me what you think!

Btw- These pics might be hard with 56k users... (could a mod fix the title?)

Great pictures Ben! Sawhorse is an excellent abstract, I still can't see what angle you got the sawhorse at! Also, Open is really neat. The crop is a little tight though, was there lots of field around it? It would be cool to have it jsut in the middle of a field..

Great job!

with the sawhorse, its between the legs looking at one of the cross-beams.

Btw- yes, open is a tight crop. It has a large amount of grass around it... I'll show u on msn.

Rob- Thanks for the crits. I had fun taking pics of the droplets. I actually came back around to that spot a few times!

Good days shooting, some nice pics. Like the droplets best :thumbup:

kelox- Thank you for your kind words. I have gotten into the idea of taking many of the same picture... the only problem is they all turn out bad... lol. Alot of you have the luxury of a high end camera with alot of extra accessories and whatnot. Im using a Canon powershot A520, which some may know is a lower-end came (not an experts camera, thats for sure.) I consider myself lucky to be able to take of advantage of what camera I have.

Btw- kelox; I love your gallery. What software did you use to generate that? (looks like ".mac". Is there a way to produce similar gallerys in windows?)

Nothing ever wrong with a Powershot!
They are able to take some good photos, once you leave the All-Automatic path and try to use it more and more manually. These little Powershots are great on close-ups! (Not supermacros, but close-ups work just fine with the "Flower"-button pushed).
And to go out and test things like differing depths of field, angles (does yours have a swiveling screen?), points of view etc. can only help.

Unlike Matty-Bass, however, I like the sawhorse least of all (doesn't tell me much, but these things are purely subjective), but I really like the drain!!! Composition, cropping, DOF all appeal to me much in that one.

LaPhoto- Thanks. I agree, the powershot does take good photos, once cropped and downsized I cant tell the difference between my camera, and the ones the pros use. I have been using auto, but also venturing out into shutter speed modes and whatnot.

P.s. No, my camera does not swivel.

Most reactions

Back