Funny BestBuy camera-buying story

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by maineiac, Oct 23, 2009.

1. maineiac

maineiac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to share my recent experience at BestBuy. It's good for a laugh.

I'm in the market for a DSLR and was checking out the D90 at BestBuy. I hadn't figured out yet how to get into video mode, so I thought I'd ask the nearest BestBuy employee.

"Excuse me, can you tell me how I get into video mode on this camera?"

The employee looks at it, and doesn't waste a breath before pointing to the dial on the top.

"Turn it to M for Movie."

I hesitate. I may not know how to get to video function, but I at least know how NOT to do it! To humor him, I turn it to M and ask him why it's not taking video. He tells me it's because there's no card in the camera. Oh well, poor guy means well.

I put the D90 down and headed to a local camera shop where the employees were much, much, much more knowledgeable....they also got a kick out of my BestBuy story. Hope you do too.
    Whit

2. mtaylor

mtaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had a best buy salesman attempt the infamous downsell. I asked about the D90, and he Informed me I should buy a D40, because it's apparently a better camera. You see, it's smaller and stuff. It also comes with a lens. (He completely ignored that I was looking to upgrade from a D60, and had lenses already)

3. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm surprised. While I haven't purchased camera gear from BB (because they insist on selling kits), I have purchased other electronics and I found their personnel to be reasonably knowledgeable.

4. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    M for Movie

Well duh!

In all fairness, it's not very obvious unless you know where to look (Liveview). But I just wish that is a salesperson doesn't know something that they would just admit it.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sales person admit when they don't know something? Are there fairies and unicorns in Minnesota too? :lmao:

6. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    when I go to Best Buy I never ask any technical questions. Most of the guys there don't know anything. They just want to sell you the extended warranty.

7. ToddLange

ToddLange TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i should go apply for a position at bestbuy now, lols. i can be a big help in their camera section. lol.

8. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Probably more accurate would be to say, "Best Buy just wants them to sell you the extended warranty."

Is it a surprise to you folks to see some kid working a part time after school job at a retail outlet not know anything about cameras?

Do you go to the grocery store and expect everyone working there to be nutritionists?

The attitude I can foresee in this thread is the reason my wife, who works at Lowes, comes home pissed off all the time. People working in a retail store to make a little money to make ends meet. Imagine that, they aren't experts nor are they hired for their expertise. They are hired to run a cash register. My wife isn't concerned whether you should sheath your house with OSB or with plywood or how many square of shingles you need to roof your house. She is concerned over you giving her the correct amount of money that the register rings up, same as someone working at Best Buy. That's what they are hired for.

9. Actor

Actor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I once interviewed for a position at an electronics store (not Best Buy) and was told they did not hire knowlegdable people because they tended to chat with the customers rather than sell them stuff.

My favorite story about Radio Shack. I once walked into the local store and was immediately intercepted by a sales person. "Can I help you find something?"

"A nul modem."

"We don't carry those."

Without breaking stride I walked over to the wall and pulled one off its peg.

My second fav story about R.S. I use this whenever I want to go in there and just browse.

"Can I help you find something?"

"Yes. A 16 input NAND gate with half negative logic."

They usually leave me alone after that. If not I can still get a lot of browsing done while they look for it.

10. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've bought two things from bestbuy, a monitor and a keyboard.

I did my research before, and had them price-match it for me so I wouldn't have to drive two hours out of my way. in and out in 15 minutes :)

11. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm the opposite. I drove 2 hours out of my way to go to Best Buy to buy my computer. Couldn't find the equivalent locally to be able to price match. All I have is Staples which is only 45 minutes away (45 minutes is considered local for where I live, haha)

12. Foques

Foques TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    mrodgers, if they work in the section, I expect them to know at least basics.

I worked in BBY and GeekSquad. When I was put in a certain area, I would make sure that I know as much as I can about the electronics I was going to sell. I mean, if I don't know crap about the product, how can I dare to sell it? it is just not logical.

Although, my recent visits to bestbuy have been nothing but a disappointment. Their personnel is just a bunch of morons.

I am building a new rig as my 64bit quadcore is just not powerful enough anymore. So I decided i'll do a custom build instead of buying stuff from them and upgrading it..

Went to the store looking for a GPU cooler, 600-650Watt PSU, Case, Razer mouse (it is comfy for editing.. built for precise gaming), and a 2- 1tb drives.

this idiot in "home office" walks up to us.
    I tell him I need a GPU cooler and 600PSU.
    He looks at me and brings me to external HDD section. I says no.. I need a PSU and a cooler.
    He goes "oh, ok", and brings me to their desktop section and starts asking questions to sell me a PC.
    I says, "dude, I don't need a computer. I need a PSU and a GPU cooler".
    He takes me to a speaker stand. then, he figures that he doesn't know WTF i'm asking him for and gets a geek squad cretin.
    that idiot takes me BACK to desktop section. 0_0

at that point I lose it (I was on the team that rolled out the Geek Squad, established rules and SOPs), whip out my screwdriver(i am an IT, always have screwdriver with me) and, while he yells that I can't take computers apart on the sales floor, drop the side panel and point at PSU. tell him "THIS IS PSU. THIS IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. DO YOU HAVE IT, THAT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR"
    he goes "ahhh.." Goes to their 'precinct' to ask a supervisor, comes back "we don't carry those".

on my way out, I find my second half staring at the shelf FILLED with supplies ranging from 350-800watt. She turns to me and asks "aren't these what you are looking for?".

/moral of the story. Best buy doesn't give a sh1t. They don't train their Employees. And I am VERY curious how come geek squad is still alive when it is employed by morons like that.