Funny Comments you get when you have your "big" camera

It will be fun to hear everyones stories :)

This is the best comment I've ever gotten. It was 4th of july and I was on the Pier with my gf waiting for the fireworks. I had my rebel xt w/ grip and 70-200 f4 L mounted on a tripod. This girl maybe around 20 walks up to me

her - I have a quick question to ask if you don't mind (I smile) When I shoot the fireworks (holds up tiny point n shoot) should I be using flash?

me - nope it won't do anything

her - You sure?

me - Yes, that flash could never reach that far and anyways if it could the fireworks are muuuuuch brighter than your flash could ever be.

her - You sure? They're not going to come out blurry?

me - nope. ( I didn't feel like trying to explain to her they would be blurry because of the long shutter speeds that would be used)

her - Are you a professional?

me - No, I'm only 17

her - Oh......... (walks away)

So you aren't suggesting this as a way to pick up chicks?

Some of you may get this: Went to see Lou Reed the other night, and brought my Leica M8 with a 35mm Summilux. "Is that an SLR?" the burly door guy asked. "Nope, it's a Rangefinder." "As long as it's not an SLR, we don't allow good cameras."

Some of you may get this: Went to see Lou Reed the other night, and brought my Leica M8 with a 35mm Summilux. "Is that an SLR?" the burly door guy asked. "Nope, it's a Rangefinder." "As long as it's not an SLR, we don't allow good cameras."

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

You should get one of those good cameras.... psssshh what's this leica junk?
Incase you can't see my sarcasm over the internet please don't explode. I know a leicas good stuff.

I seriously need to get a life... I've been on this thing all day.... ahh no more replying to this thread for me....... at least until the morning....

I've had comments such as "nice camera" but only when the white lens is on.

I've had this happen regularly:
When taking shots somewhere busy, especially with the white lens on, but it often happens with a "normal" lens too, everyone is taking shots of whatever catches their eye.
When people see the white lens they almost always look to see what i'm taking photos of and more often than not, will then start taking pictures of that too.
It happened in San Francisco on a boat trip to do whale watching. During a lull in activity i took some shots of the water being broken by the boat as i moved through the water - the spray and sunlight was forming mini rainbows and at least one other person started copying me.
Same trip - I was shooting the seagulls (not with a gun!) and a few people stopped what they were doing to see what i was shooting.

is it just me or do any of you guys almost get embarrassed or feel more like a tourist when using a compact? Maybe I'm just more comfortable with my SLR!

Actually, the accessory that gets me the most questions is my wife. She seems to like to play "photographer's assistant" so when I go to switch lenses, she'll grab them and put caps on and stuff for me. Makes me look like a "pro" I guess. When we're at the zoo we get lots of "Are you with a magazine?" remarks.

i need to get a better zoom lens... everyones got those dang white canon monsters lately.... too bad i shoot sony

This should help!

Radiatorlak%20-%20zijdeglansbusHammerite.jpg

When people see the white lens they almost always look to see what i'm taking photos of and more often than not, will then start taking pictures of that too.

oh, very common experience with me ;) I shoot things, investing some minutes or even half an hour for the scene... and more and more people who are deperately looking for something to shoot just point their cameras in the direction mine points and try to copy what I do.. just for them it only takes a second (not sure about the outcome though :p ) ... some feel guilty, like stealing my scene, you can see it how embarrassed they look back when I look at them ;) Like I caught them ;)

oh, these copy cat snapshooters use not just point and shoot cameras but also DSLRs these days ;)

i was walking around with my camera on my tripod today (was shooting IR) and all of a sudden everybody thought i was filming for the news. Kids drawing attention all of a sudden, people honking their horns.....weird.

common experience! especially in cities, when I use my tripod many people think I was filming ;)

me - No, I'm only 17

her - Oh......... (walks away)

from that moment on she probably thought what you told her was rubbish ;)

oh, and some more:

At some ancient temple in Egypt:

dSLR-photographer: "You waste your time waiting for those people leaving the scene!"

me: "But I don't want them in my composition."

dSLR-photographer: "Just clone them out afterwards in Photoshop!"

me: "I'm currently shooting slide film."

dSLR-photographer: *totally freaks out, stares at me in amazement* "You mean real film, like in the old days?" *comes closer to see my camera and then quickly leaves the scene, scared apparently*

Somewhere in town:

stranger: "Wow, is that a digital camera?"

me: "Yes, it is ..." (was shooting a DSLR that day)

stranger: "But the clicking noise sounds so real!"

me: "It is real." .. I then walked away since I would not kow how to do more conversation here ;)

Somewhere in town:

Stranger without camera: "Is that a Nikon?"

me: "No."

Stranger without camera: "You should get a Nikon!"

me: "Why?"

Stranger without camera: "Nikons are real cameras."

me: "OK."

I continue adjusting my tripod ... stranger leaves me alone
... but comes back 20 minutes later:

Stranger without camera: "I have a Nikon at home, it is much better!"

me: "OK, but why don't you take pictures then?"

Stranger walks away confused and never comes back ;)

oh, and some more:

Somewhere in town:

stranger: "Wow, is that a digital camera?"

me: "Yes, it is ..." (was shooting a DSLR that day)

stranger: "But the clicking noise sounds so real!"

me: "It is real." .. I then walked away since I would not kow how to do more conversation here ;)

One of my friends one day spent a good 5 minutes during class trying to explain to me how you can turn the shutter sound off.

Heres another one.
I was at a store around town and they make u check ur bags in. I had my camera on my monopod so I popped it off and handed the guy behind teh counter the monopod as well as my backpack. When I come back after I look around to pick up my stuff the guy hesitates in handing my stuff back and asks

him - ..... Are you ummm.... a.... Photographer.....?

me - Oh no I just like carrying all this stuff around with me :)

He gave me a really confused look and handed me my stuff.

Ok, I have a totally opposite experience.

I was doing a day at the zoo with my point & shoot, specifically to show a few friends that you CAN take pictures with a moderate zoom lens P&S that costs about $200 if you know what you are doing...

I was a lovely Saturday, and the zoo was absolutely PACKED with people. I was in the herp building, and I saw a guy wandering around with a 4X6 view camera on a tripod. I went up to him and said "OK, I gotta admit I have never seen anybody using a view camera at a zoo before..."

He grinned at me and said (with a kind of rueful smile) "yeah, well as crowded as this place is today, you are getting better pictures with that (points to my P&S) than I am with this."

I wanted to tell him "Hey, you should see some of my OTHER cameras... I have 3 big fancy DSLR's with all kinds of lenses and flashes and all the cool toys" but instead I just looked at my little $239 Powershot A710 IS, and I realized that he was right. While his camera was MUCH cooler and more fun, I was going to have a lot more good pictures at the end of the day than he was... especially in that crowded place.

BTW, the P&S's zoo pictures can be seen Here (clicky).

IMG_0181.jpg

Nice... I shoot a lot of elementary, middle and high schools for my company and I always get called a paparazzi by the kids.

I was shooting a high school out in Corona, CA and school had just let out for the day. I was out in front shooting a scoreboard I designed for the school and some kid comes up and said to me: "hey paparazzi who are you shooting?" I replied "no one, there's no one famous out here..." The kid just hung his head down and walked away. I usually always have to ignore the students at all costs.

Edit: should clarifty that when I carry my D70s I don't get any comments, but when I use the company D2Xs it's when I get the paparazzi comments...

Happens on occasion, then again how often do you see this:

762373696_800047b256_m.jpg

My 12x20 Korona.

Had someone ask me once if it was digital:lol:

Most reactions

Back