Funny Comments you get when you have your "big" camera

I promise not all Americans are ignorant redneck assholes.... but we do have our fair share.

every country has its share of them .. but in the US they are just quite ... prominent and visible ... I agree.

I feel left out as no one has come up to me. Mostly I get family and friends telling me what I should be taking pictures of.

okay, so i have one.. from tonight haha. doesnt have anything to do with the size of my camera..

but, i was just out for a walk with my camera, which i had on my tripod, and a backpack full of gear, and on the way to a nearby park, this crackhead came up to me and asked me if i had nothing better to do than take pictures of crackheads. so i slowed down a bit, and told him no, i had better plans for tonight. at that point, he got a little upset and started jabbering, so i turned and started walking away.. the jabbering got a bit more hostile and i heard him start to come up on me. so i turned, and told him to calm down a little. he tried to pick a fight, but when i told him that my tripod swung a lot heavier than your average baseball bat (especially with my camera mounted on it hahaha) he eased off enough, and headed the other way.

sure am glad i didn't need to sacrifice my camera like that!

Not many comments on my cameras, but I get a lot of ridicule for my subject matter. I've had cars pull up next to me and people yell out the windows, "What are you taking a picture of?" I finally decided that the best response was a simple noun (that window, fence, puddle, etc.) followed by a serene smile in response to their snickering, accompanied by a nod in response to anything else they say. Whatever it takes to regain my solitude.

Also, I find it suspect that it's always a male asking me what I'm shooting.:er: My boyfriend suggested this script:

Random dude: What are you takin' a picture of?

Me: Jesus. He's in everything. Do you know Jesus?

(Accompanied by my signature "cult" smile and creepy eye contact.)

My boyfriend suggested this script:

Random dude: What are you takin' a picture of?

Me: Jesus. He's in everything. Do you know Jesus?

(Accompanied by my signature "cult" smile and creepy eye contact.)

Yep that would be enough to make just about anyone walk away... funny, I'll have to try that.

Mmmmm.... tasty. Hasselblad X-Pan.
If only. No it looked more like this: http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/horizo_e.htm

Because I stayed polite but very definitive and European, you could see he got very confused and did not know what to do ... well then my friends came back and dragged me into the car and he walked away as well. So that was one of my first experiences on your continent ;)
The old European shield. Had some local guys look like they were about to get rough because they thought I was from New Zealand with my accent. I mean what? South African is the closest most people ever get. They start abusing me, and I replied "huh? I'm from Austria". They are all confused and such and ask me to "speak some Austrian". Seeing how I'm a scrawny little man I saw it fit not to correct them and abused the heck out of them in German for a little while till they were satisfied that I wasn't from NZ and left. I blame it all on the Trinations Rugby game on that night, and I don't even like the sport.

Yep that would be enough to make just about anyone walk away... funny, I'll have to try that.

When random dudes chat up girls on the street, conversations about religion occur right after the "Girl, you fine," and "So what do you do for fun?" portion, but before the "There's a party at my buddy's house tonight" part. Disrupting this socially accepted order in the pick up ritual results in an outcome similar to rejection for the male, who, to save his pride, must walk away and tell his friends that the female is "crazy."

So he didn't like foriegn people? Welcome to USA mother f*cker! I bet he voted Bush too. :roll:

Not all of us that voted for Bush (twice) are rude jerks. I know very few who are. But that is getting into politics, so we won't go there.

thank god!, every time i hear the word "bush" i just know theres going to be some politics..

This isn't really about cameras but since it has drifted a bit about guys picking up girls....

My photography myspace usually has a picture of one of my female models as a default. I get at least 2 messages from these "gangsta" guys trying to hit on my model, who they think is me. I usually reply with "So you like dudes?" and they usually reply with something like "WTF YOUR A GUY?!?!?! Why do you have a picture of a girl??!?!?!?!"

This isn't really about cameras but since it has drifted a bit about guys picking up girls....

These two topics are not unrelated. Photography and mating have always been bosom buddies. Your story demonstrates this point in more than one way.;) So do many of these stories, in fact. Hm..

If anyone else here listens to "Mark and Brian" on KLOS you would know they have a lot of polls and things like that they read from time to time. One of them was sexiest professions. Photographers where a 9 outa 10 if I remember correctly, right up there with musicians.

the setup:
a few nights ago i was at a park where there is a duck pond, lady with kids running around walks up to me and strikes up a convo

the conversation:

Her: wow, thats a nice camera
me: thank you
Her: is that digital
me: yes, Canon Digital Rebel XTi
Her: oh, i really like the sony cameras, you should try them out
Me: oh, ok (said while not looking at her)
Her: you taking pictures of the ducks for a magazine or something - points to my backpack
me: not really, more for my personal use
her: oh, 'cause i was going to say, this place isn't that great, you wont get many good pictures here
me: oh, thanks
her: yeah, well i've brought my camera lots of times and i never get a good picture at all
me: yeah, thats too bad - pretends that blackberry is ringing and walks away

it impresses me with how bold some people can be

it impresses me with how bold some people can be

Well, this sounds like she was just seeking conversation with you, no matter about what. It is called "chatting up" ;)

Or she was just about to tell you her secret places to get good images of ducks. You never know.

Most reactions

Back