Funny Observation

i admit to doing this. i saw a kid during lunch with a dslr, so i ignore the person talking to me and strain to catch the lens and model, which was just a d60 with a kit lens and a sb-600

Dont even try and tell me that when you guys are walking around somewhere and you see an slr you don't stop looking at it till you figure out what mind of camera it is... LOL

I used to stare @ what brand camera and lens everybody had until I started getting a better look and noticing most people around me have $2,000 around their neck and then you see the dial set on auto! I seen one lady walking around the zoo with a 40D and a Canon 16-35 EF F/2.8 she stopped next 2 me and as i looked over , yep set on auto! What a waist of money

I walk around town all the time....with major equipment. I once walked from my home to the park in the middle of town during a local festaval with my 400mm and body mounted a triopd and a bag of lenses. Crossing Main Street bridg was rather fun as onlookers for the parade where gathered along the bridge waiting for it to start as I strolled threw raising my camera up so as to not bash someone in the head with it. Talk about gaulkers :lol: and this was after I had been carrying around that 400mm lens in open public for months.

when in zoos I notice that lots of people will stop (even holding back kids) so as not ot walk infront of the camera - of course they all assume that at some point some big flash or sound will come from the camera- the shot will be taken and I will move on, allowing them to move again.
Nope ;) - I could be in one spot for ages - so I have to wave them through

I know the feeling, I was photographing at an outdoor Raptor exibit this past fall. The same experience, People would stop grab their kids and wait....I'd simply tell them "Don't let me be in your way" I'd let them pass through at their own pace and continue shooting around them.

I once had a parent get cought off guard. He was paying more attention to the birds than anything else, which is fine and all, but when he noticed my camera and tripod out of the corner of his eye he near jumped out of his skin.

Dont even try and tell me that when you guys are walking around somewhere and you see an slr you don't stop looking at it till you figure out what mind of camera it is... LOL

I don't, Actually I could not care less what those around me is shooting, because most of what is daudling around is plainly not my style. You can stroll around here with any dSLR you want I likely won't even notice it, and if I do I'll likely turn and carry mine on the side that faces you...You show up with a good lookin film SLR you might catch me looking but I would have to notice it first.

then there is using a 4x5 view camera out on the street, that always gets a reaction.

...yep set on auto! What a waist of money

Joe Buissink ( http://www.joebuissink.com ) says P is for professional. ;) Running in manual is a state of mind, not a camera setting. Most people who have their camera set to M still have their mind stuck on auto. There is no significant difference between zeroing the meter with fingers or zeroing the meter with electronic switches; in both instances the meter is running the show, not the photographer.

then there is using a 4x5 view camera out on the street, that always gets a reaction.

Every time I use a 4x5 in public I get at least one person ask "When is this going to be on the news?" Does a Speed Graphic or view camera look anything like a video camera? I guess it just bigger than any still camera they've seen in recent history.

Every time I use a 4x5 in public I get at least one person ask "When is this going to be on the news?" Does a Speed Graphic or view camera look anything like a video camera? I guess it just bigger than any still camera they've seen in recent history.

I've gotten simmilar to that from Police using a 35mm body and 400mm lens. I think bigger = publication to a great many people.

Joe Buissink ( http://www.joebuissink.com ) says P is for professional. ;) Running in manual is a state of mind, not a camera setting. Most people who have their camera set to M still have their mind stuck on auto. There is no significant difference between zeroing the meter with fingers or zeroing the meter with electronic switches; in both instances the meter is running the show, not the photographer.

Seriously... people keep preaching the camera doesn't matter, so if the picture is good, does it really matter what mode the photographer was using?

It happens to me too. They are always asking if I'm with the Detroit Freepress (newspaper). I have employees running up to me to figure things out because you all know that associates put on a show if their business is going to get some publicity!

Thats how you can always tell who's a photographer - watch for the wondering eye to your equiptment.

True, but what's strange with a 4x5 camera is that people forgo the usual manners of not walking in front of you while your taking a photo, but instead they'll stand directly in front of your lens and start asking questions about your camera... as if you're there to show off the camera instead of actually use it.

Most reactions

Back