furiously boring photos?

Here's a few more shots from those rolls:

4108263632_02666aee38.jpg

4107498287_c9955789ba.jpg

4107498841_6c4650d747.jpg

4107499531_062e08f33c.jpg

4108265720_ebbbe123c3.jpg

Most of what you are showing, whether it in indoors or outdoors in the wilderness has a strong sense of architecture--I can tell you are exploring planes, symmetry, perspective, balance, etc. I don't know a lot about it, but you should look into the conventions and principals of architectural photography, and use that possibly as a grounding for what you are doing. I like your images a lot, and get a strong sense of the mood you are trying to create with them, but feel most could all be improved. For instance, #1 has a great feel to it and I like the composition, but I think the vertical and horizontal lines should all be straight...or they should all be angled...it's swimming in that in between area. Right now it feels unintentional or crooked, and makes the photograph feel a little unresolved. Same with the train tunnel. It feels crooked to me, rather than dynamic. I think if you shot this straight it would be boring, so maybe shoot it super wide, almost fisheye; but I don't think that fits your style. Anyways, good work, thanks for sharing.

I think this camera evokes a certain style (or certain aspects of my style) in me while shooting. So many of the shots feel "architectural" because the lens is fixed as 35mm, so, I can't just zoom in or shoot ultra-wide (granted, a few have been cropped in post). Also, as I mentioned earlier, the exposure meter is broken and the camera has forced auto-shutter, so I have to eyeball the exposure and guess what the camera is going to do with the shutter and shoot accordingly. Being an older camera it has some unique qualities.

Cool. It's sometimes nice to work with big restraits, it forces you to be more creative I bet. Oh, one thing I forgot to write. IMO I wouldn't have the plane angled towards the bottom of the frame, it makes it seems like it's a missle headed towards ground and it evokes some cheezy 9-11 thing.

I'm lovin 6 a lot!
Catches the eye really well going from dark to light as that picture does.
The only thing I could possible pick at about it is the pink on the bottom of the hill. I might have dodged it a little right there..

@kkadmin

This is why I wanted the plane where it was:
4097652512_018b4c34d9_b1.jpg

I wasn't even thinking of it going down or crashing or any 9-11 connotations.

@alexanderdel

It could a little photochopping, but my philosophy while shooting on film (especially with this little "artsy" camera) is to retain as much of the original image as possible because I'm using film and its cameras for their unique characteristics and look.

A little info on the second batch.

#10 - Took this while fishing. This photo illustrates some of the "unique characteristics" of my XA. Center of the sky is overexposed and quickly rolls of into being exposed/ almost underexposed. This happens often to the sky with my camera.

#11 - This was the view from my bedroom in the house (Mom sold it and moved last summer) I grew up in.

#12 - We stopped at this beach to cook some of the excess fish we caught and did a bit of exploring.

#13 - Taken right near where #9 was taken from. I feel like I've seen this photo or image before.

#14 - Last shot on the reel. I was coming down off a mountain I had just climbed. This was taken at 11pm.

I see a strong sense of style developing. Particularly in the 1st frame.

Love & Bass

Yeah I was thinking the same.

The images seem simple, and one of them didn't excite me too much, but they all had a certain something to them that I found very enjoyable... nice use of color in a lot of cases, too.

Neat stuff.

Often people don't comment because they don't know what to say, and you have to keep in mind you're living in a world of serious techno-nuts here, so unless you borked something up on the tech side, people tend to be quiet.

A little info on the second batch.

#10 - Took this while fishing. This photo illustrates some of the "unique characteristics" of my XA. Center of the sky is overexposed and quickly rolls of into being exposed/ almost underexposed. This happens often to the sky with my camera.

#11 - This was the view from my bedroom in the house (Mom sold it and moved last summer) I grew up in.

#12 - We stopped at this beach to cook some of the excess fish we caught and did a bit of exploring.

#13 - Taken right near where #9 was taken from. I feel like I've seen this photo or image before.

#14 - Last shot on the reel. I was coming down off a mountain I had just climbed. This was taken at 11pm.

You talk about your photos like they are snap shots. I sense a real style and intention with your photographs and I think in the future they deserve better commentary. Try telling us why you took the photo...what compelled you to push the shutter button at that moment, what made you reframe the image you way you did, what do you want the viewer to feel or think about the image...

I'll occasionally have a mental image strike me and I try to reproduce it, but most of these I honestly didn't put much thought into these beyond following various "rules" of composition (or trying to) or intentionally breaking/bending a few. I try to shoot quickly so I can train myself to get good images quickly most of the time rather than great images once every so often. I don't really think about it, I just try to take the best photo I can.

I suppose I could come up with some BS artsy description how photo A is about the struggles of modern man in the wild or how photo B depicts the decline of the middle American corporate structure, but I just try to make a image I like.

I suppose I could come up with some BS artsy description how photo A is about the struggles of modern man in the wild or how photo B depicts the decline of the middle American corporate structure, but I just try to make a image I like.

Don't do that, lol.

I'm not trying to sound pretentious or art lofty, but I have a feeling that when you figure out why you are attracted to shooting certain things, it'll help guide the way you shoot it and aid in your examination of it.

Please just take what I said before as a compliment. Your images have a connective tissue holding them together and the way you see, imo, is thoughtful and reads clearly in the images.

-Ciao

Please just take what I said before as a compliment. Your images have a connective tissue holding them together and the way you see, imo, is thoughtful and reads clearly in the images.

Well, thank you.

If you have any questions about a specific photo, I'd be more than happy to answer as well as I can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back