Future career, hobbyist for extra bucks now.

yogibear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking into developing a career out of my photography. I originally was planning my biology major with a photography minor but have recently decided to flop the two around.

Im not looking to make any serious money off my photos anytime soon but maybe just to earn a couple extra bucks a month to help pay the bills. I was thinking of maybe selling postcards locally as my community is big on local artists and business. Ive been taking pictures of what embodies the local area in order to get some good appealing material. My question is this: How exactly does one go about getting into selling postcards/pictures? I dont have much experience in buisness and was hoping the more experienced members here could point me in the right direction with a few tips or suggestions on how to start small.

Much appreciated.
Thanks.

Control your cost and look for the best way to market your skills. Everyone has a natural skill at some type of photography, either portraits, product shots, nature, architecture etc....Figure out which one is your passion and work from that aspect, it'll reflect in your images.

If you have a lot of local artist, maybe offer to provide a few gratis shots of the artist work if they will give your credit or cross network with you.

I used to own several pet treat bakeries (4 stores, sold them in Dec) I baked treats, sealed them in a plastic bag, then wrapped a photo image business card with some of my pet photos around the treat and gave them to the local Starbucks to hand out to customers in the drivethru...This was my best marketing campaign EVER, ended up giving out several hundred per store. I included a coupon and the response was amazing, as the coupon was trackable. Funny, Starbucks was fanatic about calling me when they were out of the treats and it was totally OK with corporate. No cost to them and their customers loved it.

I'm also working with local realtors on photographing highend listings, I give them a free photo shoot to sample my work and then give them a 25% discount for any future shoots for every referral they provide.

In the beginning, it's all about getting your name out there and building up a portfolio and for people like you and me who are just starting, sometimes you gota give it away in order to get the exposure. Only cost is your time..

I wouldn't necessarily change your major. You need to make sure you take lots of business classes if you plan on being a succesful photographer. It would be more beneficial to you to major in business management and minor in photography.

Thanks for the advice maxalmon. Ill try this approach and see what happens.

JodieO: Do you think this would apply also if my end goal is photojournalism for National Geographic or other Nature/socialogical Publications? I guess the buisness aspect would come in handy if I am working as a contracted photographer huh. Good to think about.

Thanks for the advice maxalmon. Ill try this approach and see what happens.

JodieO: Do you think this would apply also if my end goal is photojournalism for National Geographic or other Nature/socialogical Publications? I guess the buisness aspect would come in handy if I am working as a contracted photographer huh. Good to think about.

Hmmm... well... here's the thing. You aren't going to come right out of college and right with National Geographic, KWIM? A lot of photojournalism jobs pay a little bit of nothing, you may end up wanting to run your own business a bit as well... or if you want to be a freelancer who contracts with places like NG...

Lots to think about.

Last edited:
Definitely. Thanks for the advice! I know that i am no where near owning my own business but any small steps i can take now to help, i will. Never thought about how i may have to sell my photos... kinda ignorant to think they will sell themselves now that i think about it! :D

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back