Fx help

Pedro Jimenez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently made the move from dx to fx, I went from a Nikon d3200 to a Nikon d610. I wasn't really that impressed with the dx format so I didn't invest a lot of money on equipment, I did however purchase one AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm F1.8G, I put on the fx camera and the results were... Well cropped, the picture I get is way smaller than what I see in the viewfinder, I kinda understand why thats happening and it's all very intimidating. My question is will I still will buying a fx lens fix this issue? If I get an fx lens will the picture be what I see in the viewfinder and will the lens perform the same way a dx lens performs on an fx camera? I realize it kinda a very silly question but any help would be appreciated. Thank you

You'll only have that issue if you shoot in DX mode.

FX bodies are shipped from the factory to default to DX mode when the camera detects a DX-format lens on it. When it is DX mode, you will see a small double-sided rectangle with 'DX' in it on the monitor and a black rectangle in the viewfinder.

You can over-ride this in the menus and shoot with it in FX mode.

BTW, the 35 DX lens does very well covering the FX sensor, so don't be afraid to shoot it in FX mode. It is a rarity as most DX lenses simply do not cover the FX sensor and you will have a black vignette in the corners of the image.

I highly recommend that you become more familiar with your camera by reading the manual, or simply navigating the features yourself. You can modify most things in your settings (although some things frustratingly cannot be changed or customized).

In your camera you can set it to stay in FX mode when you put a DX lens on it. Right now it changes automatically. Your 35mm should be decent in FX mode, considering it wasn't made for it.

Last edited:
This thread begs for the all to familiar reply to such situations, Have You Read The Freaking Manual???

This thread begs for the all to familiar reply to such situations, Have You Read The Freaking Manual???

Nikon manuals aren't exactly what I would call 'intuitive', especially for the novice. I liken it to explaining all the details of brain surgery for a group of 8-year-scouts for their First Aid patch.

Nikon manuals aren't exactly what I would call 'intuitive', especially for the novice. I liken it to explaining all the details of brain surgery for a group of 8-year-scouts for their First Aid patch.
While I appreciate that Nikon does not hire the best writers, and I am a lowly Canon user used to pretty decent manuals. Page 285 thru 291 are I believe pretty well written. I, a Canon understood it. I even learned about CPU, Type G/E and Type D lenses and the pretty illustration on page 291 along with the instructions were pretty good. :allteeth:

And TPF has 2 dedicated Nikon forums - 1 for cameras and 1 for lenses.
So the OP may find more information there.

I find Nikon's manuals easily understandable. There are plenty of books on Amazon for the D610 to help you learn how to use the camera and all its function.

So I have auto crop mode disabled on my D610 but I changed my DOF button to "Choose Image Area" in the "Controls" under "Custom Setting Menu" which allows me to change from FX to DX manually. Which comes in handy when I just need that little extra bit of reach like when shooting birds. It also puts a black rectangle box in your viewfinder where the camera will crop the image to.

I've found Derrel Young to write books that are great for learning all of the features of your camera.
==> https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Nikon-D610-Darrell-Young/dp/1937538451

The Nikon manuals are a great reference for once you understand everything. But if you don't, they are not very good at "learning". But they are great after you've learned how to use the camera and everything about exposure, etc. That's where the book above comes into play, about learning how to use all the features and what those features do.

When I had my d7000, other than the kit lens, I only bought FX lenses. I normally bought the older AF-D type lenses which used the in body motor for focusing (and they're much cheaper). So when I went to the d600 and d750 I had no DX lenses to deal with (sold the d7000 and kit 18-105 lens together). I never bought that 35DX lens. I went right to a 24mm/2.8 AF-D lens instead. That was a great lens that I learned a lot on.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I find Nikon's manuals easily understandable. There are plenty of books on Amazon for the D610 to help you learn how to use the camera and all its function.

So I have auto crop mode disabled on my D610 but I changed my DOF button to "Choose Image Area" in the "Controls" under "Custom Setting Menu" which allows me to change from FX to DX manually. Which comes in handy when I just need that little extra bit of reach like when shooting birds. It also puts a black rectangle box in your viewfinder where the camera will crop the image to.

How does DX mode create more "reach?"

So I have auto crop mode disabled on my D610 but I changed my DOF button to "Choose Image Area" in the "Controls" under "Custom Setting Menu" which allows me to change from FX to DX manually. Which comes in handy when I just need that little extra bit of "reach" like when shooting birds. It also puts a black rectangle box in your viewfinder where the camera will crop the image to.

How does DX mode create more "reach?"

It doesn't. Just crops so I don't have to do it in Lightroom later. I suppose I could have phrased it better.

While I appreciate that Nikon does not hire the best writers, and I am a lowly Canon user used to pretty decent manuals. Page 285 thru 291 are I believe pretty well written. I, a Canon understood it. I even learned about CPU, Type G/E and Type D lenses and the pretty illustration on page 291 along with the instructions were pretty good. :allteeth:

Mostly due to the fact that you were probably more than well-versed in knowing what they were talking about in the first place.

FX bodies are shipped from the factory to default to DX mode when the camera detects a DX-format lens on it. When it is DX mode, you will see a small double-sided rectangle with 'DX' in it on the monitor and a black rectangle in the viewfinder.

BTW, the 35 DX lens does very well covering the FX sensor, so don't be afraid to shoot it in FX mode. It is a rarity as most DX lenses simply do not cover the FX sensor and you will have a black vignette in the corners of the image.

Mostly due to the fact that you were probably more than well-versed in knowing what they were talking about in the first place.
thank you to everyone that actually answered my question about this, I'm not good with all these technical terms and names and numbers and stuff I finally watched a vidoe that totally helped to understand the problem and the issue that I was having, along with a user guide video. I guess I'm just gonna have to get an actual fx lens to see what the difference is.

thank you to everyone that actually answered my question about this, I'm not good with all these technical terms and names and numbers and stuff I finally watched a vidoe that totally helped to understand the problem and the issue that I was having, along with a user guide video. I guess I'm just gonna have to get an actual fx to see what the difference is.
I misunderstood.
But you don't have a FX lens at all to compare.

Yes you are getting a "cropped" image which is using only a central part of your sensor. And giving you a DX look.

You can pick up a 35mm/2.8 AF-D lens for not much money and get a direct comparison.

This viewfinder shot is from a nikon d600. The middle rectangle is the DX Cropped image in relation to the entire frame which is FX
img_3720a-jpg.71725

from this thread talking about DX/FX but the images have been archived ==> So You Wanna See the Difference Between Full Frame and Cropped Sensors?

Pedro,

I'd recommend you look into a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for Nikon. They are pretty reasonably priced and they are an FX lens, so you'll get the full field of view your FX sensor is capable of in the D610.

You can still use your DX lenses on your FX camera body, but when you do the camera will automatically switch to DX mode (assuming you don't disable that feature in the menus) and so you'll be limited to the same field of view you had when using it on your DX camera.

I shoot the 28-75 myself on a D600, really is an outstanding lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back