Fx kit lens

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I got a d610 body recently, I'll soon buy a kit lens. I'm 90% sold on the 24-120 f4 vr. Just wondering is there any obvious lenses in this price range or less that you would recommend. I believe new it's about 700

I had the 24-120 f/4. I thought it was decent, but I wasn't that impressed with it honestly. I don't have complaints about the image quality but what I didn't care was the ergonomics, it's a FAT chunky lens and has lens creep, at least mine did anyways. Just something to think about.

The 24-85 VR is also a great FX kit lens as well and possibly may be sharper than the 24-120 f/4 and you'll have some $$$!

I started out with the 24-85. Found 85mm far too limiting, plus 67mm filters is a real hassle. Went to the 24-120. Still not enough in the long end.

Found nirvana in the 28-300.

Thanks for input. I would like a little more reach than the 24-85, the tamron f2.8 has its advantages but I don't think I'd buy f2.8 zooms due weight size and price and it's very limited range. I've heard the tamron isn't great, but maybe I've only seen the negative stuff.
The 28-300 sounds good but I think that 4mm between 24 and 28 is a lot to lose. The 24-120 is still my choice from suggested lenses, I might also look at the sigma art 24-105mm

Thanks again

..........The 28-300 sounds good but I think that 4mm between 24 and 28 is a lot to lose. .............

That's why I typically pocket a Nikkor 20/2.8 AF-D or a 70's-era Tokina 17/3.5 SL when I'm out and about.

Thanks for input. I would like a little more reach than the 24-85, the tamron f2.8 has its advantages but I don't think I'd buy f2.8 zooms due weight size and price and it's very limited range. I've heard the tamron isn't great, but maybe I've only seen the negative stuff.
The 28-300 sounds good but I think that 4mm between 24 and 28 is a lot to lose. The 24-120 is still my choice from suggested lenses, I might also look at the sigma art 24-105mm

Thanks again
Limited range is something I cant argue about but the Tamron is an amazing lens, not just for the price but in general!
In Canada its about 700$ new and used is much cheaper.
My buddy bought one few months ago and I tried it, wonderful lens, I wouldnt replace it with my 24-70mm 2.8G but if I was in the market today for such a lens I would be looking for either a used or a new Tamron as its best bang of the back in this type of lenses but if the range isn't enough for you then maybe the 24-120mm f4 is the right lens for you.

Thanks again guys. I've used the 24-120 a few times on a d750. It seems ideal for me, I used to love the canon 24-105 on a 5d, I think this Nikon is about the same level. It's an everyday lens I want. For when I need faster lenses I'll use my primes

I just posted in case there was something similar, maybe an older cheaper one that was as good that I don't know about

Most reactions

Back