G20 in Toronto - Photos from today

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Unfortunately, I missed getting downtown yesterday to watch a minority of G20 protesters make absolute a-holes of themselves. Cop cars burned, windows were smashed all over, it was, well, minor carnage in Toronto's downtown all thanks to a group called Black Block. The cops acted with remarkable restraint, based on what I saw on the news.

Today I went down early to check out the scene. No real protesters to speak of, I guess they don't get up before noon. I did manage to shoot some of the aftermath. There are still cops-a-plenty everywhere downtown, but they're all nice as pie. I was searched once and had my ID checked another time. Both times the cops were chatty and friendly. More than one even pointed out spots they thought I might want to shoot.

Bottom line, love it or hate it, this G20 went pretty well. No one was hurt. Quite a few were rightfully arrested. And only minor damage was done.

So here are a few shots from today. Let me know what you think.

G20-419-EDIT.jpg

G20-688-EDIT.jpg

G20-016-EDIT2.jpg

G20-875-EDIT.jpg

G20-303-EDIT.jpg

G20-1085-EDIT.jpg

G20-967-EDIT.jpg

G20-972-EDIT.jpg

G20-1072-EDIT.jpg

G20-029-EDIT.jpg

G20-273-EDIT.jpg

G20-312-EDIT.jpg

#4 and #8-#12 are good. the rest dont do anything for me.

Strange, everyone saying #8 and #12 but I don't see anything in them. 8 is too busy and 12 just looks like a snapshot to me. I like #1 and #3. I like #5 too but if you don't already know the story behind it it doesn't work.
#1 conveys a state of desolateness (because of the seagull) which I REALLY like. That feeling is built upon by the long stretch of fence...like we're being blocked off. #3 really captures what (I think) you wanted. The emotion on the dudes face is clear. Plus the officers are surrounding them in authoritative stances. The zip ties through their belt loops stick out which is good because it helps to show just how big this problem (whatever it is) could get. Also, you shot from the offender's eye level, not the officers, which helps us connect with the emotions of the offenders. I don't know if you purposely did that or not but I thought that was perfect. That's my view anyway...

I should add that I found every shot interesting. I am not discriminating by only writing about 1 and 3. Those are just the two shots I felt were the most well done.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It's interesting that everyone likes a different photo. I'm surprised that a couple of you liked #8 & #12 over some of the other shots. Personally, I didn't think they were the strongest. I like #1, 3, 4, 9 and 10.

Last edited:
G20-029-EDIT.jpg

Dang! It's too bad you were not there yesterday-- I saw some of the photos! Wow! yesterday it was a real nuthouse down there. Totally. Not that I like protest and anarchy, but photographically speaking, days like the prior are kind of unusual,and there's always a photo opp when cars are being set on fire by the anarchist element...

Still, I really like this interesting candid shot of the woman in the foreground and the driver of the little silver car looking toward a Tim Horton's storefront (very Canadian, eh?) with protest slogans spray-painted on it. I wish we could see the woman in the silver car just a little bit more (maybe dodge it a tiny bit?), but still, I like the timing and I like the sort of dispassionate, 3rd party observer look to it. Very nice. It's got a sort of odd feeling to it--like "this is how 'normal residents' look at this protest," sort of feeling. I also like that eye-in-the-sky security camera on the corner of the building too.

Thanks again all. I remember how thrilled I was when reviewing #10 right after shooting it. I think your thoughts on it are right on. And yes, I watched the vandals yesterday on TV and was sooo disappointed I wasn't there to shoot them. And maybe photograph them too. ;) It was raining, though, and neither my camera nor my hair bodes well in the rain. :)

I was glued to the tv yesterday watching the riots live.

There were so many people there with cameras getting all of the action.

I like #9 and 10.

I'd crop the car in #10.

wish I was there in Toronto this week :). Don't know why but I like $5 :)

Most reactions

Back