G8 Protests in Edinburgh, UK.

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Surrealist, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Surrealist

Surrealist TPF Noob!

Don't worry, this isn't in any way a political post - just a couple of shots I took during a rather unusual evening in the centre of Edinburgh ...

1. Geraniums :

[​IMG]

2. Surrealist

Surrealist TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Aw, to see new perspectives of Edinburgh!
    These make me all nostalgic, although I was lucky to see some of this beautiful town without that huge amount of police force present. Thanks for sharing!!!!

4. Surrealist

Surrealist TPF Noob!

Don't worry - Edinburgh residents are looking forward to when the G8 summit is over, and things can get back to normal. The weather is nice here and we are looking forward to another Festival.

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh yes, now I remember, this G8 summit is going to be in EDINBURGH, no less.... yes, I am sure you will be happy to see this all be in the past, all the police out and about and all this... and then there`s the Festival... will you be taking photos? Oh please do!

I am trying to figure the spot in which you were to take the last two photos ... I think I can see the station in the second of your second post, is that right? But where is there a place where there are no cars?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Surrealist

Surrealist TPF Noob!

Parallel to the main street, Princes Street, is a park (Princes St gardens) - this is where the photos are taken. The railway station is next to the park also, and is accessed from Princes St. When you leave the train station, you can come out on either side of the park.

7. Psychodoughb0y

Psychodoughb0y TPF Noob!

who was protesting and why?! I really like the geraniums and the police/inforcements? people!!

8. snownow

snownow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the second, he seems so out of place. A storm trooper with such a nice background.

9. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Since im not English and have never been I have to say that these are great pictures. I like the second pic the best with the landscape in the background, WOW! I'm not sure if the enforcement police look like that all the time but where I live in the US only SWAT (special weapons and tactics) teams use full masks and gear etc. Nice shots and good contrast, the beauty of wide open spaces and the tight grip of "martial law" looking soldiers.

10. Surrealist

Surrealist TPF Noob!

Thanks very much everyone!! I was definitely in the right place at the right time.

Yes, these were taken during violent protests during the G8 summit here in Scotland. The leaders of 8 very powerful countries are here at the Gleneagles Hotel, and this has led to a multitude of anti-globalization, anti-war and anti-poverty marches, plus the "Live 8" concerts.

[​IMG]