G9 Vs 5100

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I am far from a noob but not being a P+S guy I need to know something. Why is the Canon G9 $200 more than the Nikon 5100. I know the G9 is a beautiful camera but it seems the Nikon is pretty sweet too and the res is the same so can anyone tell me the big diference.

My friend and I went through this already... Other than size, the G9 came out ahead.

this was input in another thread:

My buddy asked me to accompany him to the camera store last week to purchase a new camera. I pointed him to the G9 and asked for a Nikon equivalent. The store owner brought us the P5100. In comparison of the P5100 to the G9, the G9 won in almost every aspect except two:
1) The P5100 was more comfortable to hold (integrated grip) and smaller in size
2) The price

My friend decided on the G9 for his more "serious" photos and will still keep his older kodak for a more pocketable snapshooter. My personal feelings is the G9 is a DSLR like camera in a compact package... complete with RAW and almost every feature that entry level DSLRs have built-in. It also has a longer zoom than the nikon. I really wish Canon would design a compact swivel E-TTL flash with the Gseries in mind so that the G9 + dedicated flash is still easy to pack (420EX is bigger than the camera). By comparison, the P5100 is just another P&S albeit a good one.

Well see I am looking for a good personal backup to mu D70s. I have a baby and it is not convenient to always have the D70 ready at all times and besides if it is within my reach it is within her reach.

IMO, the G9 is a good backup for any camera. The only issue for you is that the G9's raw files will often require a different workflow than your D70.

NOTE: the G9 by on means is a big P&S BUT compared to other P&S in the market (including the P5100) it is bigger in size.

You know seeing it in pictures I always thought the G9 was huge for a P+S but I recently held one for the first time in BB and it really is not all that big. I think though, the Nikon may be the way to go for me as I can use my SB-800 on it os can anyone make me stray from Nikon to go with the G9.

have you read both reviews on dpreview.com?
Is RAW an important function for you?

Yes... though... size and the fact you can share flashes maks the Nikon very attractive.

Not too long ago I saw some fashion photographer doing a shoot with a G9 just to prove you didn't need a super-expensive camera. Shots came out great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back