Gabriel- Model Portraits with Ring Light

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some portraits this week of my friend's son, who is 12 years old and wants to start modeling. Apparently he's been practicing, because even though this was his first photo shoot he was actually quite skilled as a model and seemed to know exactly what to do.
I used a diffused constant ring light as the light source.

untitled_by_danostergren-dbi6nld.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-dbhtu18.jpg

img_9087bw_by_danostergren-dbi6nlh.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-dbhtu1e.jpg

Portfolio by Dan Ostergren - How can the kid fail?

I love the way you left those two small scars and didn't "minimise" them. They both add character to his face.

I like the lighting on the last image which for me is the best shot. In the colour versions the skin looks a tad too orange, especially in the second image. Also, what was the rationale for the ring light?

I like the lighting on the last image which for me is the best shot. In the colour versions the skin looks a tad too orange, especially in the second image. Also, what was the rationale for the ring light?
Ring light was the only thing available besides a window.

Portfolio by Dan Ostergren - How can the kid fail?

I love the way you left those two small scars and didn't "minimise" them. They both add character to his face.
Thank you. I think it's important to leave permanent features, otherwise it's not really an authentic portrait to me.

For me I prefer the third image. Something about the landscape orientation just doesn't seem right in the others, and the color as mentioned seems off slightly.

For me I prefer the third image. Something about the landscape orientation just doesn't seem right in the others, and the color as mentioned seems off slightly.
I may rework the colors a bit, but I tend to have a preference for warm skin tones, and anything cooler looked unhealthy to me. I also feel that the orange works very harmoniously with the green tones of the backdrop.

I may rework the colors a bit, but I tend to have a preference for warm skin tones, and anything cooler looked unhealthy to me. I also feel that the orange works very harmoniously with the green tones of the backdrop.

The orange does work with the green, but at the expense of not looking natural. I suspect the model has naturally olive skin which is why any warming of the skin tones is being exacerbated. It's also deviating from the authenticity of the portrait which may be affecting your goal?? Just my 2 cents.

The orange does work with the green, but at the expense of not looking natural. I suspect the model has naturally olive skin which is why any warming of the skin tones is being exacerbated. It's also deviating from the authenticity of the portrait which may be affecting your goal?? Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate your feedback. Like I said already, I may make some adjustments. :)

Last edited:
Very nice shots. I like the third one.

He doesn't look his age. Most 12 YOs still look like little boys. He looks like a young man.

Great set. The kid looked like he did very well! Was this your first shoot with a kid?
It has nothing to do with the photos, but he looks a lot older than 12! However, I think I say this everytime some post child model photos. LOL I think I am stuck in the past! :concern:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back