Gadget Infinity Macro Twin Flash

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by icassell, Sep 4, 2009.

1. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    No experience with it, but considering the low price and the built-in wireless triggering the flashes have,and the ability to move them for different lighting effects without the need for cords....man...my first thought was,"For $109 that looks like a handy little setup." Two small wireless flash units and a wireless trigger....how cool,right?

If there is a drawback I can see, it is that the flashes have a 6 to 8 second stated recycle time, probably because they are powered by only one 1.5 volt AA battery. I am assuming that is at full power, which was listed as 12 in meters, at ISO 100. That is as powerful as a full-capacitor dump of the pop-up flash in many d-slr cameras. Two flashes at GN 12 at ISO 100 in Meters is pretty potent from six inches away....

The single most-critical question I have about the flash is not answered: Does it have a variable power output? The answer, I think,is unfortunately, NO. They list the flash duration as 1/1000 second,and it is branded Holga, and they say its a high trigger voltage flash unit designed originally for a film camera--probably the el cheapo plastic 120 rollfilm Holga. So, I am thinking this is a very simple, 45 gram, single-output level flash. The 1/1000 duration is pretty slow for bees or other insects, and too slow to do water droplet stuff too. And the recycle time is so slow as to make insect macro work kind of a waiting game, in my opinion.

It does however look like it might be fun to have, but establishing different lighting ratios between the two flashes would probably be a matter of taping Neutral Density gels over one flash. With a guide number of 12 in meters two of these flashes would be, actually, quite overpowered for many normal close-up subjects, I would think. This is after all, a flash that was designed for another purpose,and has been re-purposed by the gadget infinity people.

The Gadget Infinity people have left out important information about this flash system in their web materials. If it has no way to vary the flash power, and both flashes fire at GN 12-ISO 100-Meters, how will one deal with the overexposure on very close-range shots?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I also don't like the bracket... It doesn't look easy to adjust the positioning of the flashes.

My "budget" macro setup using a flash ring light does not have variable power adjustment. It would be nice but for macro, I haven't found it totally necessary. Because of the extreme shallow DOF when shooting macro, you'll find yourself shooting at fairly small apertures (f/11-f/16) anyways.

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the thoughts. Right now I use the 430EX with Lumaquest Softbox and I also have a DIY ring-light which is adjustable, but I was on the GI website looking at the V4 triggers when I happened upon this ... just wondered if anyone had tried it. It's not too pricey ... maybe will give it a try some day ... I keep drooling over the Canon Twin ...

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The built in wireless certainly sounds interesting (and beats the canon make which is by cable) but I do don't like the look of the mount. Also the flashes are on rather a long arm when out infront of the lens - ok for regular 1:1 macro - but if one is heading for twinlights I'm gussing that an MPE65mm or some other greater than 1:1 macro setup is in the pipeline as well - and then these long flash arms are going to be too long.

As for variable power output its certianly something I would expect and want from such as setup - single power outputs will be a pain to work with. Sure you can use diffusion material to cover one flash head more than the other, but that is going tobe a slow process and not something you can easily do in the feild with active insects.

6. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Surely one could work around non-variable lights at ~this price point~.

When looking for "inexpensive" but effective solutions, we focus on features that are absolutely necessary and work around the rest. As you said, variable power isn't a blocker but IMO, the lack of adjustability in the arms ~is~ a blocker.

Anyone with $$$ can simply buy the best of everything and walk away justifying their purchase.... the key is how much cash you have in the bank

7. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    True, but one could look for some cheaper, more controled options.
    Ok granted there are not many lightweight flashes out there - and for some reason I can't fathom many manufacturers websites have little to no flashgun info at times.

But one could use, for example, two Sunpak PF20XD flashes (SUNPAK:サンパック ), which are light, as well as a bit of customised metal with a bolt (to hold it to the) camera - then you would have 2 variable power sources.
    Course a cable setup would be needed to triggor the flashes reliably (they have reflected light auto triggors, but in sunlight they prove to not be able to detect the lighting and fire). But it would be an idea.

Also if one can use a flash braket and position the flash above the end of the lens and angle it downward and toward the subject that gives very good lighting. It might be possible with the 430 (I have tried with the 580 and it works, but its heavy). A cheap rotational flash bracket off ebay (google the name you will get loads of hongkong venders selling them) as well as a little flash braket (kirk is good though a mini ballhead can work well also) and your good to go

8. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, I use the 430 on a bracket now (plus softbox) and it works well. I'm always looking for other ideas, though, and this one was intriguing.

9. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    you know it is almost worth it alone just for the wireless setup it comes with - at least that would be something to play with with other flashes; and if your doing macro then silly long ranges are not a massive requirement

10. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    As for a very adjustable macro bracket, get two of these:

Hakuba | HCS24 8" Flexible Strobe Exension | HCS24 | B&H

Work them onto a flash bracket of some sort or even some home depot parts. Now just figure out two flashes and how to trigger them. I don't see a problem with using short PC cables to trigger flashes.