Gadget Infinity

It's solid copper wire...so no worries about that. I just hope I can fit enough into the unit. 22ga might have been too thick.

Man that's kind of rough. I would have recomended stranded wire. Oh well. How did your's turn out Mike? Mine worked awesome and I got the wire to fit in the transmitter just like Jerry. On the Strobist site, they show it hanging out of the reciever, just ugly... Anyway I'll get to try them out tonight. I'm doing a pro-bono shoot for my wife's team at work. Lot's of portraits at a party...

I didn't do mine yet, I'm in the middle of editing a portrait shoot from last week end....and I want to get it finished because I've got another shoot this weekend. Of course, I want to have the triggers working for this weekend too.

Jerry said that he used solid copper wire as well.

I just finished both modes - the battery and antena. Works like a champ!!

This thread just made me feel a lot better about going for the pocket wizards.

I'm still waiting for the Radio Popper Jr. to show itself and see what it can do and how much it will cost.

This thread just made me feel a lot better about going for the pocket wizards.

You think? If I was a pro and getting paid, yes I would use the Pocket Wizards or better, the Radio Poppers, but just using my setup as an example, I have 9 receivers and 3 transmitters and total cost was under $175. I can shoot over 350 feet consistently... ZERO issues in well over 3500 shots.

To recreate this setup using Pocket Wizards, at $180US each would come out to: $1620US!

What can the PWs do that the Cactus cannot do? Longer range.. thats *it*. PWs can trigger from as far as 1 mile away. I do not see *any* situation where I would want to shoot a picture and trigger a receiver from more than maybe 50-75 feet. The other 275 feet is my safety net becuase if I can hit 350 feet, I *will* work at 75 feet.

Is that distance worth $1500 for you? If yes, go for the PWs. If not, go get yourself a Canon L or Nikon Gold Ring lens with the money you just saved. ;)

I'm still waiting for the Radio Popper Jr. to show itself and see what it can do and how much it will cost.

Yeah, me too. I emailed for an update and was told some news was coming in "2 1/2 weeks" and that was about a week ago. I have almost pulled the trigger on the GI units a couple times, but keep telling myself to be patient and see what the Radio Popper Jr. looks like before I decide.

They have been saying 'a couple more weeks' for months now. I believe it when I see them.

I shot a wedding a month or so ago with the radio poppers on my friends setup and I'll tell you what, they're nice. They work like described and allow you to keep the CLS (or whatever system you're using) working properly.

You think? If I was a pro and getting paid, yes I would use the Pocket Wizards or better, the Radio Poppers, but just using my setup as an example, I have 9 receivers and 3 transmitters and total cost was under $175. I can shoot over 350 feet consistently... ZERO issues in well over 3500 shots.

To recreate this setup using Pocket Wizards, at $180US each would come out to: $1620US!

What can the PWs do that the Cactus cannot do? Longer range.. thats *it*. PWs can trigger from as far as 1 mile away. I do not see *any* situation where I would want to shoot a picture and trigger a receiver from more than maybe 50-75 feet. The other 275 feet is my safety net becuase if I can hit 350 feet, I *will* work at 75 feet.

Is that distance worth $1500 for you? If yes, go for the PWs. If not, go get yourself a Canon L or Nikon Gold Ring lens with the money you just saved. ;)

I simply like having something that works. Others reported problems with consistency with other brands. That's all. I've got 3 PW and that is all I need for the 2 strobe setup that I use. The extra $365 that I spent over your setup paid for itself after the first wedding. I also didn't have to "modify" them to shoot over 30 feet or take standard batteries as someone mentioned. They are still under the factory warranty because I didn't have to open them up.

Is all that money you saved spent on SB600s or SB800s? With my PWs, I use 285HVs because they work and they are cheap. Who spent more and who has the more reliable outfit? I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but you did start the conversation. All I said is that I was glad I bought Pocket Wizards.

1. You cannot use the batteries that come with them. Documentation clearly states they are for demo purposes ONLY. I bought myself 4 extra batteries for $7 each for the transmitters.

2. Do the GI mod on the transmitter. It increases range from 30 to over 350 feet! This means that I can shoot 100 feet without concern or issues.

3. I hate the batteries that come in the receivers. Do the receiver battery mod, that way you can use simple rechargeable AA batteries that last longer.

Info on how to do the mods on my blog.

Jerry... Jerry. JERRY! I had seen your test shots before, but I had never read just how EASY it is to do those mods... That has sold me on getting some of these. I think I am going to order the set from GI with two recievers and two 285HV's.

I am now VERY excited... All thanks to you! :heart::thumbup::mrgreen::hugs:

Is all that money you saved spent on SB600s or SB800s?

I had a nice full page retort all ready to destroy that stupid post... decided it was not worth my time. Do what you want, I will do what I want.

Have a nice day.
(you got lucky... I am in a "trying to be nice" phase :lol: )

I am now VERY excited... All thanks to you! :heart::thumbup::mrgreen::hugs:

You're welcome! :D
Easy as pie, huh? 5 seconds to soldering on the trigger, maybe 30 seconds for each receiver... dats it!

I had a nice full page retort all ready to destroy that stupid post... decided it was not worth my time. Do what you want, I will do what I want.

Have a nice day.
(you got lucky... I am in a "trying to be nice" phase :lol: )

I assume you would rip me a new one because I don't know that SB600s function as slaves and SB800s can function as a slave or a master. I know. You mentioned using them at distances that the native remote trigger doesn't cover.

What is your problem? Why did this turn into an argument? Was it because I am happy with a particular manufacturers product and thought it would be appropriate to include it in a thread about remote flash triggering that directly compared the Cactus to the Pocket Wizard in the original post?

I assume you would rip me a new one because I don't know that SB600s function as slaves and SB800s can function as a slave or a master. I know. You mentioned using them at distances that the native remote trigger doesn't cover.

What is your problem? Why did this turn into an argument? Was it because I am happy with a particular manufacturers product and thought it would be appropriate to include it in a thread about remote flash triggering that directly compared the Cactus to the Pocket Wizard in the original post?

I don't want to be rude but it looks like you're trying to bait him into an argument.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back