Gaffgun? thoughts

qleak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I certainly can't justify this for myself but if I had a mobile monoblock studio setup (like a wedding shooter) I'd certainly consider it.

Yes this is basically an ad. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. How useful is this?

GaffGun

Useful, but at the price of gaff tape, I'd be more concerned about finding a way to use less than to do it quickly. I can see this as useful for big productions, but not so much for me.

The tool is $249 with the extension handle, and 4 different floor guides.
That's not expensive and just another piece of grip gear that one could choose to opwn.
After some number of setups the time saved taping cords would justify the cost of the tool.

In the video, the guy doing it by hand used more tape than the guy with the tool did. But, the 'by hand' guy didn't need to use all the tape he used.

Guess it'd be handy if you want to run cables and wires all over your house and not trip over them! lol Seriously you'd probably have to use it a lot to make it worth it, or use it if you were doing studio work.

Try here Filmtools: Hollywood's source for Motion Picture and Digital Video Equipment and Supplies Filmtools , they seem to have about 500 kinds of gaffer tape so maybe they have lots of options of what to do with it (and don't panic anyone, it's for movie and film productions etc. not so much to do with film cameras).

Batteries are cheaper.

I can run 8 Metz CTs and two Gel-cell batteries apiece will last a lot longer than I will and only cost me $50 + shipping for the lot. Three years later I replace them whether they need it or not.

There are definitely times when I could have really used something like that, but not enough times to justify the price, especially now that almost everything I do is in my own studio. It's a nice enough solution that it's got me thinking about ways I might be able to make a DIY type rig to do the job in the future though.

OMG! I LOVE clever machines!

Based on the video, it looks like it works pretty well. I would imagine that they will NOT sell many at the $200 to $249 price range I saw as being where this is priced at. I think the made in China knock-offs that will eventually be spawned will sell well at $39.99. At $200 to $249 with some accessories, this thing is grossly overpriced--almost to the "gouge" level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back