Gallery Commison/Wall Space Prices Question

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by PhilGarber, May 31, 2009.

1. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi-

Just today I was able to stop at a local gallery (http://www.gallery23.com) and picked up an application form. Regardless of whether they accept me or not, do you believe their terms are reasonable? They are a co-operative (artists working with artists) business.

For a 4' x 8' wall space its $40 USD a month. For a 2' x 8' wall space its $20 USD a month. This part of the deal seems reasonable. It's the commission that worries me.

Since it is a co-op, the commission taken varies with how many hours a month you volunteer to staff the gallery. The commission percentages are as follows:

Base Commission: 40%

8 hours work/month 20%

12 hours work/month 15%

16 hours work/month 10%

Since I am only 14, I will not have time to volunteer at the gallery due to school and other activities. And thus, I will be taxed the hefty (at least from my point of view) 40% commission.

Do you believe that that high of a commission is worth it? I wish to get my photos into the Gallery both for a little extra cash, and to look good on my high-school applications. I will be trying for a full scholarship to both Blair Academy and Morristown-Beard (if anyone cares :razz:).

Thanks,

Phil,

2. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, kudos to you for actually venturing out into the real world to talk to a gallery.

Pretty simple really; if you don't want to do the time, you have to pay the price.

3. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the kudos, Abraxas. It isn't really that I'm unwilling to volunteer, that option just isn't available to me at the moment.

4. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any more opinions?

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The gallery is basically hoping for contributers to put in the work hours to get a better return on images. Don't limit yourself to just one gallery - shop about and see if any others in your area are open for dispaly.
    Also you could consider running your own gallery event in a rented building - often it might be best to combine this with a few other peoples work with an overall theme - it helps cut costs down

6. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a question and sorry to hijack the thread - if you sell one photographic piece that you have on display, are you allowed to print another one and sell it again or is that unethical / not allowed?

The pricing seems fair to me for what its worth....

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nope = you can sell it 10, 20 or a 1000 times for home independant use. The only times that you would have to consider would be if:

1) you sold it to a company and they paid for exclusivity as part of the deal
    2) you state that its one of a limited number of prints - if that is the case you print the limited number and no more (and most people that do would number each print)
    3) any other commercial arrangement made with a company or select models in the shot - again it comes down to what you agree with others - contracts are key since its proof of the agreement.
    4) any legal limitations on the sale of the image - if it was taken on private land with restrictions on photography (say in a zoo) or if you have models or copywrited buidings ot such as a key focus of the shot. This area gets complicated so I can't really go any further indepth into it.

Other than that reprints would be perfectly fine - its not as if the buyers are purchasing the orginal image anyway - they are getting a printout from the computer.

8. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thx overread for clearing that up...

9. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Overread.

10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Many times with limited editions they are limited by size:

100 8x10
    50 11x14
    10 16x20
    4 24x36

As each edition gets near the limit of prints the price per print in that size goes up. That creates a sense of urgency.

Man, I love photography.........