Gallery help...

swister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm hoping to get some advice on getting a few of my photographs into some local galleries. I've already done some freelance work and I've been told that I will be able to get in, but there's something that's holding me back. I don't know what to take to the interview. :blushing: What size prints should I take and how many? Another thing... I talked to a man at one gallery and he said to email over some shots. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

Can any of you guys help me out?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Susan

If you can check out the book called "Photographers Market" it comes out every year. One section deals with all the hows & whys of working with gallerys. Includes a listing of gallerys, who to contact, what they want ect ect. Public Library might carry this book I'm not sure. I know you can buy it, just google it.

Ok, I will definitely get that book and do some more research. Thanks for the advice guys!

We just started our business of selling our photographs at the end of last year. They are now being sold at two gift shops and two art galleries. I bought a portfolio case from local art supply store big enough to hold 8 x 10 photos with 11 x 14 mat in plastic mylar coverings and we put 24 of our best shots in the portfolio. One art gallery director said he was pleased that my work was in portfolio case because he didnt like people just giving him loose art to look at. Also some Galleries specialize in certain art and some do not take photography at all. Also some have a non compete rule for the area they are in. So if there are multiple galleries in the same area, do not sign with one until you check them all out. I went with my husband on the weekend without our portfolio to check out which galleries would be right for our work but dont get your heart set on a certain one. I checked galleries web sites to see in they had submission rules. Never saw one that wanted images e-mailed and I would not recommend doing that. Then I went back during the week with our portfolio. Two things that have surprised me the most- our business takes alot of time and how nice everyboby has been. Even when I was getting turned down I was offered very helpful advice. :)

Most reactions

Back