Gallery lighting question

bradleysmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Opening up a small gallery/studio with another photographer. Going to install track lighting along two wood beads that run slightly above the walls (think a-frame cabin, vaulted ceiling, small room) in the area where we will display our work. Any thoughts on specific light bulbs, temperature, etc. would be greatly appreciated, as we're both new to this. Links to articles, previous threads here on the forum... everything helps. Thanks in advance.

Go to a lighting store, consult with someone who does this for a living and knows what works and can customize a solution for your specific requirements. Yes, it will cost more than the answers here, but since we can't see your location, have no idea what the interior space looks like, your power availability, ambient light, etc, etc, etc... most of the answers would be meaningless.

Thanks a ton for the Yahoo search results:icon_thumright: I guess you could post that for every question asked on here. Was really just hoping to hear from someone in the community here with first hand experience. What mistakes to avoid, things to factor in that may not be so obvious, etc...

@tirediron that helps, I guess there are no one size fits all tips. A lot depends on the inherent characteristics of the space. Probably going to take some trail and error... hopefully without losing too much money in the process.

consult with someone who does this for a living

I agree with tirediron, no point in trying to recreate the wheel. I would talk to other gallery owners to see what is essential, dimming the lighting atmosphere, color accuracy, etc.. Will you need to cater to receptions or strictly for viewing.

Went to an LEED talk about a newly awarded NPS exhibit/museum space, it was a large project that had many phases and was critical to open back up to the public. Upon their first completion phase they had run out of budget for Led exhibit lighting. By the second phase they were able to redo the lighting to the Leds and were able to reduce their energy consumption to be awarded the LEED cert. The real energy savings didn't come from the efficient bulbs it came because the less heat the Leds produced reduced the amount of AC the museum needed to use during the summer. The mathematical charts really discovered this because they had all the data from the first year with the traditional lighting.

My guess is that a knowledgeable architect, interior designer will probably steer you into a better investment than the lighting selections found at a local Home improvement store.

Maybe we were just lucky, but in our town we have a descent size lighting store. All they sell are lights. When we built our house they had a knowledgeable sales rep who once we gave her basic information on what we wanted, she was able to then look at the design and make recommendations on what we needed. We incorporated her recommendations into our final prints. Though we paid slightly more for the fixtures, the added service well offset the cost, and gave us better quality than the big box stores.

I should not even be reading this forum since I am no way good enough...BUT
You probably know this...will your display photos be with non-reflective glass or printed on metal to help with the lighting issue?
Carry on, am back to the newbie forums. :{

I can only say I've gone to enough exhibits but not to see the lighting; maybe go to some and - look up! lol See what they have installed other places, or if you get the opportunity ask about it. Maybe a museum or community art center would be more inclined to offer you some ideas or resources than a private gallery. Or is there a local art community that you can connect with and get acquainted with other shop/studio owners? do some networking?

My guess is that a knowledgeable architect, interior designer will probably steer you into a better investment than the lighting selections found at a local Home improvement store.
Just to clarify... I DO NOT mean talking to the person who happens to be working in the lighting department of Home Depot the day you go in, I mean the design rep at a store that deals exclusively in lighting and knows how to calculate beam spread, lumens per m2, is aware of a wide range of options, etc, etc. Architects and interior designers can help, but ideally seek out a proper lighting designer!

... everything helps.
The current trend is toward LED bulbs. Some are dimmable. Dimmable may be of some use or not. Try to get reflector floods. Try for "daylight" color temperature, 5,000K to 6,500K. Give your lighting designer the dimensions of the room, including the height and width of your display area. Be sure to mention what other light is available (such as skylights) and hours of operation (i:e: are you open at night?)

Most reactions

Back