Gantry Plaza State Park, Long Island City, New York

dwonkaniel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1. Gantry Plaza State Park, Long Island City, New York by Daniel Kwon, on Flickr

Nikon D750
ƒ/2.0 26.0 mm 5" ISO 50

2. Gantry Plaza State Park, Long Island City, New York by Daniel Kwon, on Flickr

Nikon D750
ƒ/2.0 24.0 mm 2" ISO 50

3. Gantry Plaza State Park, Long Island City, New York by Daniel Kwon, on Flickr

Nikon D750
ƒ/2.0 24.0 mm 1.6" ISO 50

All shot in M mode and unedited.

Your honest critique would be much appreciated!

Are there any techniques I can use to get the skyline more in focus? Thanks.

Last edited:
Honest critique - I guess my first question would be - "What is it that you are trying to show here?" I get no feeling of a "park" at all. The only thing I really see is some kind of large structure that looks like it might be the "entrance" to something. For those of us who know absolutely nothing about the subject, I still know nothing about it after viewing these pictures - back to my first question.

..and then there are the questions about composition, of which there are a few - for example, in the first image, you have that walkway that curves to left and actually would tend to take the viewer's eyes out of the image rather than into it, thus their eyes tend to leave the image without seeing the entire thing - not something I would think you want.

It would make your images easier to review, when you post more than one or two, if you would number them. That way a reviewer can refer to a definite image without having to flip back and forth to ensure that they have the right image for their comments.

WesternGuy

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback. I've numbered the photos so that they're easier to review.

Admittedly, I had no intentional subject. I'm completely new to photography and I just wanted to get properly exposed photos. I was just excited to get out and shoot.

I did try to bring the shutter speed as high as I could so I could get the "smooth" water effect which I think worked out well in picture #1, but I wish the skyline was sharper.

If you are new to photography,then you probably want to do some "reading" about composition. Composition is, in my humble opinion, the most important aspect of photography. You can know all about the technology - camera, lenses, flashes, etc., - but without a good understanding of composition and what makes a good photograph you will be frustrated by the quality of your images.

There are literally thousands of sites on the web that cover various aspects of this subject. You might want to have a look at this one - Basic Photography Techniques - Photographic Composition, Center of interest, Subject placement, Simplicity, Viewpoint and camera angle, Balance. for a place to start. Another site with a lot of good stuff on it is here - Ron Bigelow Photography Articles .

Remember though, if you have any questions about any aspect of your photography, or any of your images, post to a relevant forum and someone will be able to provide answers.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back