Gary Fong diffuser during the day

Yeah, but you can get light coming from two or three directions with the Vertex. Do that with your DiffuseiT. :greenpbl:

Is it possible that the house caused a slight cast that farked with your WB when using the GF?
Probably so. Since the GF blasts light in all directions it probably caused a slightly yellow cast to come off of my house (which is yellow).

What's interesting to note is that nothing is apparently gained from it blasting light in all directions outside. Inside, it does help to soften shadows but outside, it doesn't do anything for the image other than perhaps softening the light overall since light is being wasted going in directions that aren't useful.

You can accomplish the same softened light using a cheaper and smaller Sto-Fen by adjusting the compensation on the flash. In terms of light diffusion, I see no benefit to using the GF.

I'll do some daytime shots someone wants me to, but I felt the nighttime shots would be more telling about the actual light cast.

Last edited:
After work I grabbed the 1D, 85mm f/1.2L, the 580EXII and the Sto-Fen to shoot a neighbors flower that's in their front yard. I shot in day light (before sunset) but I went with an f/2.8 aperture vs. the 1.4 used mostly by Dscience. I wanted more detail in the flower and didn't want part of it OOF - personal preference.

678877426_L7VJE-XL.jpg

ISO: 100
Av: f/2.8
Tv: 1/80
Focal: 85mm

I used a Canon remote flash cord so TTL was enabled. I was shooting in manual mode.

I would say the light is pretty soft...

Last edited:
how come you used a cord???

oh wait, canon doesn't have CLS. :lmao:

joke

how come you used a cord???

oh wait, canon doesn't have CLS. :lmao:

joke

Because CLS is useless in daylight. :)

If I wanted CLS, I would buy a 7D. But I really have no use for it, not to mention the 1D doesn't have a built in flash kind of like the D3 doesn't. :D

how is CLS useless in daylight? I use it all the time in daylight? uhhhh....

I think tharsmein is pulling your chain a bit. CLS is far from useless in daylight. The range is reduced yes, and in some situations I've had to put my hand in front of the pop-up to direct light to the slave. But there are plenty of times I've had it work just fine even in very direct sunlight.

I have no idea if Canon offers something similar to the SU-800 but that would enable someone to use ttl with a slave unit if there was no pop-up on the body.

I think tharsmein is pulling your chain a bit. CLS is far from useless in daylight. The range is reduced yes, and in some situations I've had to put my hand in front of the pop-up to direct light to the slave. But there are plenty of times I've had it work just fine even in very direct sunlight.
I am, it can work under the right conditions and tonight it would have worked fine given I wasn't in direct sunlight.

I just had to do some ribbing back.

:D

I have no idea if Canon offers something similar to the SU-800 but that would enable someone to use ttl with a slave unit if there was no pop-up on the body.

The ST-E2 and the 580exII can both act as masters to control remote EOS strobes while maintaining eTTL-II functionality.

I figured the 580 could, my problem with that is that I find it sort of pointless to use an expensive speedlight as a commander only when there are cheaper alternatives. Good to know Canon offers a commander-style unit to mount on the hotshoe.

I figured the 580 could, my problem with that is that I find it sort of pointless to use an expensive speedlight as a commander only when there are cheaper alternatives. Good to know Canon offers a commander-style unit to mount on the hotshoe.
The 7D has Canon's version of CLS... it uses its built in flash the same way Nikon does. I'm sure that all future Canon releases will have this system going forward.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back