Gary Fong Puffer - Pics Inside

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't care what anyone says, this gadget is cool - and works!

Best $5 I've spent on photography (I had some eBay bucks saved up). Still, even at $20 I think this is a must have for people like me who do a lot of shooting around the house trying to keep up with their kids.

Some comparison shots:

Without:
695531304_Xw4CP-M.jpg

With:
695531279_LEsxH-M.jpg

Without:
695531264_Jyeub-M.jpg

With:
695531240_9FdrH-M.jpg

Without:
695531182_voM2q-M.jpg

With:
695531219_rLEmG-M.jpg

I can still see the shadow your zoom lens + lens hood are throwing. The shadow is horrible in the first shot of the toy horse, but adding the puffer moderates the shadow a bit, but it is still there. Maybe removing the lens hood would help? Or avoiding certain focal lengths ranges, where the zoom lens extends and blocks some of the in-built flash's light beam.

Twister! LOADS OF FUN! 40-some-odd years after its invention!

Amazon UK have this at £3.99 - for what you get I think the under £10/$10 price range is where this product sits - 20 is being cheeky ;)
I have used tissue paper to diffuse light from the flash in the past to good effect, and this appears to work in a similar manner, though attachment to the camera looks tobe a lot better and its more sturdy too ;).

I could actually see me liking this addon if I were using the popup flash

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pop-up-Flash-Diffuser-Olympus-Pentax/dp/B001K7B9AM/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_url

interestingly its not listed as Gary Fong anything - but its tagged under it

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Shadow is still there in some instances but it's greatly reduced to the point it's no longer an annoyance or taking away from the photo in my opinion.

For quick around the house shots using the popup flash - it's a keeper!

Keep in mind, these were taken using a Sigma 18-250 lens with hood in the worst of cicumstances really, which is what I tried for so you could see how dramatic the difference was with the shadows.

It's a neat gadget, but I would invest in a real flash at some point.

Sure, but I don't always want to be running around the house with a big honking flash on my camera either :lol:

Sure, but I don't always want to be running around the house with a big honking flash on my camera either :lol:
Why not? You run around with a big honking camera. If you don't like big and honking, get a P&S to keep in your pocket. :D

I run around with a flash on my bodies because they don't have built in flashes... purposely. Even when I had my 40D and 50D I didn't use the built in flash, I always reached for my 580EXII. I figure if a picture is worth taking, it's worth taking right.

Yep, and that's why they make all this stuff - to suit different folks :)

My kids won't hold a pose long enough for me to setup a proper flash shot so this works great for me.

For what it's worth, I do have a 'real flash' as well and bring it out when I feel it's necessary.

Oh, and I also have point and shoots... but I prefer the speed of my D90 and the effect of the Gary Fong when using flash 1000x more, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cost me $5 shipped brand new from Adorama, how does that make me a sucker for anything? It does what I expected it to, and better than I thought it would.

Have you actually tried one?

I guess if buying something that does exactly what I needed makes me a sucker, then so be it.

I have the puffer and I think it's worth it... it doesn't do anything amazing by any means, but that's why it's inexpensive :) You get what you pay for!

I figure if a picture is worth taking, it's worth taking right.

Taking a picture right is no more than being satisfied with the end result. Why does it matter how you get there?
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Are you saying the Fong defuser gives the same result as a proper flash? If that were the case, I would imagine Canon and Nikon would stop making external flashes and issue Fong defusers with their bodies. I suspect you would agree the Fong defuser is a compromise and isn't the equal of a proper flash.

If it's a compromise, that means it's not as good as it could be but might be good enough to be acceptable. If that's the case, I go back to my original statement which was "if a picture is worth taking, it's worth taking right".

I realize not everyone agrees with me, so I'm only talking about my own personal preference. Heck, I've seen some pics people were proud of that I would delete if I took. We all have different levels of what we deem to be good or even acceptable.

If the Fong makes him happy, which it appears to do, outstanding. It's money well spent in his case.

My kids won't hold a pose long enough for me to setup a proper flash shot so this works great for me.

Man...how long does it take you to set up a bounce flash? It looks like your new toy works okay, but I'm with InTempus with this one 100%. If you have a hot shoe mountable/bounce flash, I can't imagine using this thing.

Once the flash is on there it takes no extra time to use over your puffer. I agree....if it's worth spending the time to take the picture, it's worth spending the time to take the picture right. I would never only put half my effort into getting a nice shot. I've had many shots that were planned to be nothing but snapshots of my son that ended up being wall hangers......because I set my camera up the best I could for my situation rather than just pointing and shooting.

Are you serious man?

I, nor does anyone (hopefully) think the Puffer would replicate a proper flash, that's not the intent.

Turning this thread into a Puffer vs SB-900 or whatever is ridiculous.

I guess according to some of the logic here I should just give up, I mean a D90 is no match for the D3s nor is the SB-600 any match for the SB-900. You must have the best gear to do the job right, is that what I'm hearing?

Good freakin' grief!

This was supposed to be a simple thread... for those actually interested in something to help make their pop-up flash work better, which this DOES DO.

Period.

So please, stop making it more than it is.

Most reactions

Back